Gilberta’s world(indoors!)

Kkrista123

Crowing
Dec 2, 2018
Hatboro PA
My Coop
My Coop
Everyone is always so interested on how I make it work having my girl live inside! I thought I’d make a follow me along sort of thing just to show everyone how Gilberta gets by living the luxuary life style indoors! Living indoors means one thing, Gilberta never has a set schedule. By no schedule I don’t include feeding or bathing. (No worries, I care for my duck well!) but what this does mean is she tags along with me all day everyday so as my schedule and where I am daily changes, Gilberta just comes along happy to be in my company. Today she woke up and got treats with fresh water. Her food bowl was still pretty full and I just refill that as needed. After she got some time to wake up, she headed to the tub for bath time with celery! While she went for a dip her pen got cleaned. After Gil’s was all cleaned up, she wanted to pose for some pictures that will definitely be below! Today was a relaxing day for her, she got to cuddle and watch movies! Sometimes there’s a lot more to her day and sometimes not. Either way the day goes, she’s very happy to be with me at all times and has never had an issue with being a single duck since she is my best friend. I am not encouraging people to keep a single duck but I am trying to aware people that my duck has a pretty special situation as she is ALWAYS with me. This worked out for me, still wouldn’t recommend it for any out door flock members! Hope everyone had a great day! AF83453A-19E0-4F5A-9DBF-94339860A186.jpeg 8B9EB7E2-7439-4845-87F4-FDB6DAFFB313.jpeg 70BA16A4-0CAA-46C7-A6AD-5D084E2C9A58.jpeg CDA2246F-F518-43EC-9A14-304C7C8F9B75.jpeg

Sweet girl, what kind of duck is Gil? She looks like my Khaki Campbell girls did when they were younger. It's a lot of work cleaning up after them when they live inside lol. Mine have a large area in the laundry/storage room where they stay when I work or at bed time to keep them safe from predators and neighbors. I give them a swim splash tub and a mud dirt tub plus a herb flower tub. By the time I get home it's all mixed together. Messy messy messy lol Love those ducks! Gil is lucky to have you .

Sweet girl, what kind of duck is Gil? She looks like my Khaki Campbell girls did when they were younger. It's a lot of work cleaning up after them when they live inside lol. Mine have a large area in the laundry/storage room where they stay when I work or at bed time to keep them safe from predators and neighbors. I give them a swim splash tub and a mud dirt tub plus a herb flower tub. By the time I get home it's all mixed together. Messy messy messy lol Love those ducks! Gil is lucky to have you .
I love her so much and it is very messy but very fun! She is actually a runner mix but not sure with what. The most common guesses of the mix are Buff Orpington and Kakhi Campbell! Hopefully my friend that I got her egg off of will be able to identify who the exact parents would be and their breed once she's a bit older!

I have an indoor duck as well! She looks pretty similar to your Gilberta. Warrior was hatched with deformed feet and is "disabled". When she hatched, she couldn't hold up her head properly for the first day, and she didn't know how to walk until much later than her clutch mates. She still trips and stumbles a lot more than other ducks, and we think she might be partially blind or visually challenged. She overall acts less aware of her surroundings and has trouble finding her food and water unless we dip her beak in it first.

We have a small outdoor pen on our deck that she goes into during the day (and in summer her kiddie pool is out there) and at night she is diapered and comes inside the house.

I like to take her to the park and outdoor events during summer as well. Children love her!

In her diaper and neoprene duck shoes​
20180928_193509.jpg

At the park with her leash and harness​
20180526_153526.jpg

Her 1st birthday this year! I made her a duck-safe cake with yogurt and mealworms.​
20180625_152002jpg.0.jpg

Anyway, Gilberta is very cute! She looks well taken care of. I see we're both not afraid to let our ducks swim in the bath haha. I don't see many other people who keep indoor ducks! :D

I have an indoor duck as well! She looks pretty similar to your Gilberta. Warrior was hatched with deformed feet and is "disabled". When she hatched, she couldn't hold up her head properly for the first day, and she didn't know how to walk until much later than her clutch mates. She still trips and stumbles a lot more than other ducks, and we think she might be partially blind or visually challenged. She overall acts less aware of her surroundings and has trouble finding her food and water unless we dip her beak in it first.

We have a small outdoor pen on our deck that she goes into during the day (and in summer her kiddie pool is out there) and at night she is diapered and comes inside the house.

I like to take her to the park and outdoor events during summer as well. Children love her!

In her diaper and neoprene duck shoes​
View attachment 1612183

At the park with her leash and harness​
View attachment 1612179

Her 1st birthday this year! I made her a duck-safe cake with yogurt and mealworms.​
View attachment 1612178

Anyway, Gilberta is very cute! She looks well taken care of. I see we're both not afraid to let our ducks swim in the bath haha. I don't see many other people who keep indoor ducks! :D
You are the nicest person ever to take such good care of your little sweet little duck!

Back
Top Bottom