Gimpy the Turkey needs help

vdunkin

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 14, 2012
Help! Our turkey, Gimpy, is becoming worse very day. Gimpy is 4 months old. His foot/leg was turned to the side and has progressively moved backwards like he is doing the splits. He is no longer able to stand straight up for long periods of time and hobbles around. He can fly into the trees and eats and drinks without an issue. He's become more of a pet. Is there anything we can do?

There wasn't a single event that happened that I know of, it's been a progression. At about a 2 months ago we noticed his leg sticking out to the side when he was laying down, but he was still walking normal. In the last month his leg has progressively moved from the 12 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock position. The leg stayed at the 3 o'clock position for quite awhile. The leg is straight down to the joint, then at the joint it is twisted. When I try to move the leg to the forward position, he gets shakey and then squirms, so I think it hurts. The rainy season has started. He's not able to oil himself very well so I'm worried about him making it through the winter. He's a very social happy turkey. When I carry him back to the barn, he peeps at me the whole time and stretches his neck to look me in the eye. My son is very attached to him, so I'd like to make my best effort to keep him off the dinner table.

I don't feel any breaks. The twist seems to be at the joint and possibly start a little above the joint.

It sounds/looks like it might be a slipped tendon. I had several meat turkeys that this happened to. You may have to get him to a poultry vet to have the tendon repositioned and the leg splinted. Since he's not an overweight meat bird, it should be a good fix.

I'd expect that siince it's been a progression, that it's not out of joint, but I'm not experienced on orthopedic issues. Sounds like the only thing to do is find a poultry vet, which I'm not sure I can afford :(

Back
Top Bottom