Girls stopped laying after hubby closed nesting box

Lucy4

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
where chickens dare to tread..
So we have one girl who goes broody every other month or so. I just kick her out of the coop for a couple days (bringing her in at night and covering the nesting box til the morning.) Within 48 hours, she's over it.

But my charming husband decided that rather than having to put additional food and water outside the coop for her, he'd just keep the nest box covered day and night while I was away. He didn't use his noggin to think that the other three girls would like a place to lay.

The first day, they just laid in another part of the coop. And then the next day, no eggs. It's been a week now, and there are still no eggs.

Our coop/run/pen is a relatively small space, and we've scoured it. No eggs. Did he stress them into not laying? What should I do, other than smack my husband?

Thanks.

Quote:
Do you use artificial lighting? If not, maybe adding some would help too? Giving your husband a smack upside the head might at least make you feel a little better. What WAS he thinking?!!!
smack.gif

I too vote for smacking that husband of yours upside the head. Also, he should get down on his knees before your hens and beg their forgiveness
bow.gif
. It has been my experience over the years that a chicken will lay an egg ANYWHERE they want to, if they want to (even in the middle of the feed pan). I think they might just be too upset with your husband to give him anymore eggs just yet. Better get him busy on that appology and forgiveness begging stuff right away.
pop.gif

lol. He is so contemptuous of the chickens! No wonder they stopped laying. I would too, if he treated me that way!

Yes we have artificial light. I started them on some scrambled eggs. Got one EE egg today, so that's a start.

Back
Top Bottom