Girls vs Girls

Here is a summery of the last 3.5 hours.

A)
Just went out for evening chores and found one of my buff dewlaps in a bad way. It was good at 3 pm, and now 2.45 hrs later appears to be at deaths door.

Found it in the big pond, in the mucky shallow end, listless. DH and I fished him out, and washed him off. Brought him to the fresh little pool. His legs are sticking out behind him. He keeps making a soft "onk" and sounds very much like he's got breathing issues. When I feel his neck, all feels normal, but he gets upset when I'm at place where head meets neck. He keeps moving head up and down, and stretching out and back. Can't get him to open bill for a look-see.

What do I do? He's got fresh water (in fact, he forcefully threw himself in it, and seems intent on being there. Is weak, makes breathing noises, Too weak too walk.

B)
Ran to store, got stuff for goose, am now treating said goose in the barn. I have to get up at 3 to change out treated water for plain. Poor goose. Cold and completely soaked, even now a few hours later. He's doing better (or she), but still weird head motion going on. I've now covered it with a silk sheet (old/torn) just one layer, to try to give it a chance to warm up and retain some body heat.

C)
waiting

hugs.gif

the buff goose is a bit better. Not all streched out now, not listing to port, got feet under himself, but not standing or walking. Also, got white foamy stuff over an eye that may have been injured in the pond (rough old concrete.)

If a little improvement is positive, things are slighty better. OH, and he's dry now, which should help immensely. Not a bite of food.

Celtics advice saved him last night.

The gander turned out to be a goose. (Get the goose, cochin)

Took her to the vet today. here is what I've got posted in the goose threads.......

Here is my poor baby en route to vet. Both eyes all covered with white foam. Swelling in nose causing this, and nasal breathing hard for her.

So, vet, sweet fellow he is, checked HER out real well. Found Canine bite marks, and believes a dog is involved. He found bad swelling of her head and upper neck, and she has been prescribed an anti inflamatory and antibiotics. Bad bruising to her bill, too. Some damage is from the fall into the semi empty pool, then more damage from time in ucky pool Good call on the molasses Celtic, he thinks it helped her make it to now. Believes she was in some pain, so gave her a little something for tonight. She is resting comfortably now. I dose her for 3 more days at about 4 pm orally. (this is not easy - hard to open her beak!)

Outlook good, but next 24 hours are gonna be a little rough, and he though 3-4 days (like Celtic said) before she'd be up and around.

^^^^^ And here is what I did after the vet appt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom