Give me a viable Eglu Cube alternative

I have two Eglu Cubes and one Go Up that are housed inside a greenhouse. During the day, I used some of the run pieces from my old Eglu setup (I used to have a 12 ft run instead of the greenhouse) to build an enclosure of sorts. The chicks stayed in that with food, water, warming plate and some space to run around and dust bathe. The pic doesn’t really show the entire enclosure, but you get the idea. The Go Up was close by so I could open it up at night and they could hop into the back of it. In the beginning I did put the warming plate and their food and water. It was my first time raising chicks so I wasn’t sure what they needed. I don’t think they ate a lot, but it didn’t hurt.
F2C14E16-C86B-42AB-B103-55B8596E4BFB.jpeg

No, food and water has been kept outside. They only use the Cube to sleep anyway, so I keep the food in the run where they do chicken stuff.

I can thread the pet stairs over the ladder or just take the ladder off. The clips on the ladder pop up to release it and then you can slide it up out of the holder tubes to take it away until you need it again. It's really hard to fit under there though, and I'm just over 5' lol

Attachments

• PXL_20220707_211527977.jpg
    PXL_20220707_211527977.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 37
No, food and water has been kept outside. They only use the Cube to sleep anyway, so I keep the food in the run where they do chicken stuff.

I can thread the pet stairs over the ladder or just take the ladder off. The clips on the ladder pop up to release it and then you can slide it up out of the holder tubes to take it away until you need it again. It's really hard to fit under there though, and I'm just over 5' lol
That photo was very helpful! I'll order these stairs today. I feel you, crawling into that run is NOT fun! I'm 5'6" and old! The auto door opener closed and opened exactly as advertised so we will be moving the girls outside today. Did you use any extra security on the door latches (for raccoon protection)? I saw where child-proof knob covers were recommended by someone. I am so nervous, like sending kids to kindergarten. I need to figure out how to program the light. Listening to our niece tell her horror stories Sunday detailing how each of her 17 hens were killed over a few weeks time gave/gives me anxiety, we have secured the unit to the best of our abilities, fingers crossed.

Like you, I added hardware cloth around the run, and I opted to add 3" hasps to keep thieves out as well as raccoons, though I've also heard of the knob covers. The hasps aren't a totally perfect fit, but they're pretty darn close. I pre-drilled smaller holes into the side and squished caulk in there, then screwed on the hasp. Here's what mine looks like on the back:
PXL_20220707_211432622.jpg

Like you, I added hardware cloth around the run, and I opted to add 3" hasps to keep thieves out as well as raccoons, though I've also heard of the knob covers. The hasps aren't a totally perfect fit, but they're pretty darn close. I pre-drilled smaller holes into the side and squished caulk in there, then screwed on the hasp. Here's what mine looks like on the back:
View attachment 3258404
Love your set-up, is that solar power on top? I used the baby knob covers, it is still tight opening the doors, but better to be safe. Moved the girls outside today and they love it. Their new feeder and waterer were well received. I ordered the steps but these girls were going up and down the ladder so I may send it back. They did not want to go into the coop and were very noisy when the door closed them inside at dusk. The coop light is not working correctly so that will be a research and fix tomorrow. Our little dog apparently hates these birds, she is so jealous and barks constantly when we are in their area. I am exhausted but so happy to have our garage back to "pre-chicken life." Thank you so much for all your great help!

I had to figure out the coop light at first as well- it's a setting and is set to off by default.

My girls try to tuck themselves in well before dark, so it'll take some fiddling to find a time that works for you so that the light will be on when yours want to go in. I use the light setting for opening and closing, and I think I have it set to close at 35... really early. To help the girls get in there when they want to, I have a solar spotlight for gardens that I stuck against the run (so it gets sun) but it points right up to the coop doorway. The solar panel you see on top is for a motion activated security light I have for when my dog goes outside so he can see in the dark. He also hates when I'm in the run and just runs circles around it. He's worn the yard to dirt in a very distinct path all the way around haha

I had to figure out the coop light at first as well- it's a setting and is set to off by default.

My girls try to tuck themselves in well before dark, so it'll take some fiddling to find a time that works for you so that the light will be on when yours want to go in. I use the light setting for opening and closing, and I think I have it set to close at 35... really early. To help the girls get in there when they want to, I have a solar spotlight for gardens that I stuck against the run (so it gets sun) but it points right up to the coop doorway. The solar panel you see on top is for a motion activated security light I have for when my dog goes outside so he can see in the dark. He also hates when I'm in the run and just runs circles around it. He's worn the yard to dirt in a very distinct path all the way around haha
That is a great idea about the spotlight! We have several lights around the yard to highlight sculptures. It is very shady where their coop is set up but I am definitely going to try that trick. We have coyotes occasionally and our 18 lb. dog doesn't like going outside after dark. A raccoon was hit by a car at the end of our drive, so I'm sure they are here too, even though I've never seen one on our property. The hawks are back but I feel confident that the aviary netting will keep the girls safe from them. The girls survived their first night outside, they flew (literally) almost 9 feet from the coop door to me. Gave them a few mealworms, a good morning talk, a petting and now to do chores that don't involve chickens. Can you tell if this is a Roo? (photo attached).

Attachments

• Roo.jpg
    Roo.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 22
For 6 weeks old, the comb is red enough to be awfully suspicious (compared to the bird in the background for sure). I'd give it a few weeks to make sure, but I'd lean towards boy
I'm so hoping a hen, the coloring worries me and feather shapes. I am posting a few photos that were made this morning.

Attachments

• Bertha.jpg
    Bertha.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Bertha 2.jpg
    Bertha 2.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 24
I'm so hoping a hen, the coloring worries me and feather shapes. I am posting a few photos that were made this morning.

Back
Top Bottom