Give me the dirt on turkeys

Just a gratuitous shot of one of our hens that wings her way from keeping appointments with the annual ax. She knows how to celebrate Thanksgiving.

We've added turkeys over the past 3 1/2 years. Of course, most of all of them do not go past a year, due to their purpose of "thanksgiving". I've almost always kept mine with my chickens (in the yard, but not in the same coop), also with ducks. I would always be extremely cautious if there are any Toms. All of ours have been just too mean. One of my lady ducks could kick some turkey booty, and also, I've had one of my chickens think they could take a turkey (hen) out. I don't think the chicken could of held her own either. You just don't know. As long as they have lots of space.

As for turkey noise. It would definitely depend on what you have. We've had 3 toms at one time, and heaven forbid you try to have a conversation outside! We could never yell across the yard to one another, because that would aggravate the "gobbling". Sometimes it was funny, but it did get to be frustrating at times. Hens chirp and "Yarp". (that is how I imagine its spelled, as it sounds
big_smile.png
) My sons also think its fun to call to them. LOL. Sometimes I think they believe they are professional turkey callers.

We have almost 2 acres, and I could hear them from in the house. My neighbors wouldn't' complain, but I think they expect it. My neighbors across the road have a good 5 acres, and I can always hear their turkeys. It doesn't really bother us, but we kind of miss it after they're all dead and gone to the freezer.
wink.png

Does anyone know about Chocolate Turkeys? I just ordered 20 and have never had turkeys before, I've heard they often drown in water so i'm going to put pebbles in their water. But I also heard you have to teach them how to eat, do you? And would it be ok to put baby chicks in with my baby turkeys to teach them how to eat? Or could I shove them under some of my silkie hens who already have chicks so they could raise the turkeys? I'm sorry about my stupid questions. I'm also raising them for breeders, what should I feed them as chicks? as full grown turkeys? Thanks for any info!

Does anyone know about Chocolate Turkeys? I just ordered 20 and have never had turkeys before, I've heard they often drown in water so i'm going to put pebbles in their water. But I also heard you have to teach them how to eat, do you? And would it be ok to put baby chicks in with my baby turkeys to teach them how to eat? Or could I shove them under some of my silkie hens who already have chicks so they could raise the turkeys? I'm sorry about my stupid questions. I'm also raising them for breeders, what should I feed them as chicks? as full grown turkeys? Thanks for any info!

I have hatched a few poults but have only had one drown. I would put marbles in their waterer. Will help them if one would fall in. Also they are shiny so that envourages them to peck.

Usually I will hatch chicks to keep in with them to teach them to eat and drink. If don't have any to will pick one up at tsc. So far have not had any issues.
If you don't have chick sprinkle food on the brooder floor and put some aluminum foil in there and place food on it. They like to peck shiny objects.

Poults need higher protein than chicks. I feed mine 27 percent gamebird starter for a couple months. Then switch to 20 percent flockraiser.

I don't know about putting under a hen. I would keep in a brooder if it was me but you might have good luck going that route.

My chocolate hens were good layers. Went broody quickly. And with their hatch were good moms. I planned to expand my flock with chocolates but thigs happen. I have 5 babies outof my trio to continue on with.

Good luck with your new babies and welcome to turkeys.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll put marbles in the water and put their food on aluminium foil! How long do you usually keep your chocolate turkeys in the brooder? I heard 7 weeks?

8 weeks? Ok I'll try it thank you very much! Why do you have to keep them inside so long? Sorry about my dumb questions!

Generally if wait til they are fully feathered they should be ok to go outside.

I have lost a few that I have put out early.

So I give them as much chance as possible.

This what I was told one time. And pretty well holds true.

A cold wet poult is usually a dead poult.

Back
Top Bottom