Give me the dirt on turkeys

I don't know much about Turkeys except how to cook them but I found this Turkey Skid in an old "how to" book and thought someone here might like the info.

9782_nest_boxed.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for the answers regarding turkeys. I am interested in having some, but I am a bit worried about whether they would bother the neighbors. We have a little over 4 acres, but it is a narrow lot. Luckily I have until spring to decide.

Jennifer

Quote:
We can only hope!
fl.gif

OT - About a year ago Kitty accidently got locked in an outbuilding for 11 days. When we finally found her she was fine, not thin at all. However the terrier-sized rat that had occupied that building forever, despite many barn cats, is no longer with us.
Maybe until I can get my own turkeys I can find a very large tom turkey to rent. She sooooo has it coming to her!

Just a comment on the turkey shed on skids, by their other mother.... I think this shed is more for commercial turkey breeds like Broad Breasted White turkeys, because they just sit plopped on the ground until you butcher them.

Heritage turkeys are soooo different, in that they want to move, to forage, to fly high, and they rarely sit still. That pen would be confining to them unless it was only a night-time protection pen and they could free range in the daytime.

Just based on my personal experience with Bourbon Reds.

Quote:
Like I said, I don't know much about Turkeys but I agree with you about putting them in it at night. It looks pretty simple to build and I liked the fact that it can be moved easily.

Love this thread!

Yes, let's ask for a sticky.

By the way, do you want any bronze turkey eggs for sale ....They are beautiful birds.

Here's a list on craigslist that shows the birds but unfortunately not tom strutting!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/grd/840310404.html

PM me on this board if you want to buy or want more info! Thanks!

I do accept paypal.

Thanks for the info... Great bunch of nuts to get to know!!

Said lovingly of course...

I have 4 pygmy goats, 15 chickens, 2 ducks, and sadly now only 3 turkeys.... a dog got into our barn area and killed two yesterday.....

They all run free in a fenced in area around our barn....

What about feeding?? Will the turkey's get enough to eat with me only throwing food out twice a day??? I do this because of the goats being "little" piggies....

Also, weird question about rooster behavior with the other fowl.... We have a very agressive roo that mounts one of our ducks... Is this normal?? I'm now worried he might try the Turkeys....

Thanks,
Ann Marie

Quote:
Why don't you make a small boxed area that only the turkeys can enter to eat feed, that is too small for the goats. If there is no other food source in the pen, I'm not sure if twice a day is enough. Also depends on the breed of turkeys and your goals (i.e. are you raising them to be butchered or as pets).

Back
Top Bottom