Give me the dirt on turkeys

Quote:
This is exactly what I was going to say.

My 5 bourbons were alot of fun until they started flying out of the bird yard and climbing on the car, the truck, pooping on the front door... My truck has a poop right on top of it. GRRRRR!

There is a ton of space for them to free-range, but they want to be right there at the house with me. They are driving me CRAZY. I just today finished the fully enclosed pen, and there will be no more free ranging for them. No more picking at my hands every time I try to pull a weed in the landscape. No more spilling/stealing my tools when I'm working. No more jumping in the camper every time I leave the door open for 2 minutes (oh, man that made me SO mad!).

I will finally be able to finish sealing the patio, which was impossible with a pack of pooping turkeys on it every day.

They ate every grape off of my vines.

Reminds me, I need to call and get the cost to have them processed. They will make nice freezer ornaments. Think I'll serve them with grapes and a nice wine.

BUGGERS.

yuckyuck.gif

Great thread!!!

If I put turkeys in my fenced-in "free-ranging" area with the chickens and they flew over, how hard is it to catch them again? Would fast legs and a fishing net do the job?

How good are the heritage breeds at hatching out their own broods and raising them?

If I want overall decent eating (doesn't need to be huge), cold weather toughness, foraging ability and good mating/brooding skills, what would be my best choice? Thanks!

me&thegals

We have a 6 foot fence around our turkey areas and the hens can clear that with ease, the toms are to big. It's rare we have any go over, but then again they have spent their whole lives there so that is home to them. One day I didn't latch the gate to our Beltsville pen and when I can home from work the whole flock of about 25 turkeys were milling around the front yard. I just shoo'd them back and they all went right in.

All the heritage breeds will sit and raise poults but the hens are like chicken hens some are good mothers some not. Also, the best mothers come from poults hatched by a hen. Most people incubate eggs so the mother instint isn't as strong.

The best tasting turkey we have is the Midget White followed by the Bourbon Red

Size wise Standard Bronze and White Holland are the largest, Mid sized - Bourbon's, Spanish, Slates -most of the breeds fall into the mid sized area. smallest- Midget White, Beltsville Small White. The ALBC and Feathersite list weights and have pics, we have pics of the birds we raise on our website.

Steve in NC

me&thegals :

Great thread!!!

If I put turkeys in my fenced-in "free-ranging" area with the chickens and they flew over, how hard is it to catch them again? Would fast legs and a fishing net do the job?

How good are the heritage breeds at hatching out their own broods and raising them?

If I want overall decent eating (doesn't need to be huge), cold weather toughness, foraging ability and good mating/brooding skills, what would be my best choice? Thanks!

me&thegals

I "herd" my BR turkeys by walking behind them, or by carrying a stick or two in either hand to guide them. I accidentally discovered that they can see a stick or broom with their excellent eyesight and they steer clear of it (I would NEVER hit them or anything, it's just to guide them). Mine are so well-trained now, I can herd them pretty easily. But it takes them a while to get used to the idea -- they panic at first, but if you go slow with them they are trainable. Then again, I wouldn't want to have to do it all the time!

I chose Bourbon Reds because I'd heard that they were good at all of the above, and mine have proved to be so. they are all great mothers even though I bought them all as day-old chicks from a hatchery. I think most any of the heritage breeds would do well for you.

You'll love turkeys once you get them!​

I just use the arms outstreatched method, it does work. They have pretty good eyesight. I do have one small problem with Annie's comment though.

"You'll love turkeys once you get them!"

You don't get turkeys..... They get you!
smile.png

Steve in NC

Okay, I am thinking about getting turkeys... but I have a few questions.. (I don't know if these questions have been asked before since I only read up to page 5, sorry!)

How long do turkeys take to mature?

When do they start to breed and lay eggs? (What time of year)

How much does an Adult turkey sell for?

Thanks!

-Austin

Quote:
To Mature it depends on the breed, the larger breeds take longer than the smaller breeds to mature

Once again it depends on the breed for eggs. Our Beltsville Small White starts laying around Christmas time here in NC, followed by the Hollands, the Palms, Bourbons, Midgets started about the same time, last is the Bronze

And it depends on the area you live in, some sell turkeys for $50 + each. In our area there are alot of breeders so the price is lower.

Steve in NC

Back
Top Bottom