Giving a chicken a bath?

FeatherMommy

Chirping
9 Years
May 7, 2010
Oklahoma
So my new chicken absolutely stinks. She was raised outside with a bunch of other chickens and it had just rained so the ground was really icky..well you get my dripped. It wasn't pretty. So now I have an uberly stinky chicken and I was wondering if giving a bath to a chicken is safe? Any ideas? lol

I give my guy a bath in the kitchen sink with Dawn dishsoap. I make sure to towel him off real good, and then he sits on my lap will I use the blowdryer on the low setting.

Gave a partial bath to one of my hens back in December. Easy cleaning job in the tub with dish soap. What I forgot about was all the dust baths she likes to take. Half wet hen + blow dryer = exploding dust storm from dry feathers. The rooster was a bigger, wetter project, he was covered in his own blood from a hen plucking his butt feathers. He kept over heating and panting after 10 minutes of blow drying. Took about 2 hours of off and on drying time. Well worth the attitude adjustment it gave him! He was extremely humble for weeks.

I just bathed mine a few days ago. Get a tub of water, a bit of vinegar (to make them shiny), and a bit of blue dawn dish soap.

And don't forget to post pics
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom