Giving a chicken a bath?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by FeatherMommy, May 17, 2010.

1. FeatherMommy

FeatherMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    So my new chicken absolutely stinks. She was raised outside with a bunch of other chickens and it had just rained so the ground was really icky..well you get my dripped. It wasn't pretty. So now I have an uberly stinky chicken and I was wondering if giving a bath to a chicken is safe? Any ideas? lol

2. pretty_chicken

pretty_chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2010
    Baraboo
    I give my guy a bath in the kitchen sink with Dawn dishsoap. I make sure to towel him off real good, and then he sits on my lap will I use the blowdryer on the low setting.

3. FeatherMommy

FeatherMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Okay. Thanks!

4. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Gave a partial bath to one of my hens back in December. Easy cleaning job in the tub with dish soap. What I forgot about was all the dust baths she likes to take. Half wet hen + blow dryer = exploding dust storm from dry feathers. The rooster was a bigger, wetter project, he was covered in his own blood from a hen plucking his butt feathers. He kept over heating and panting after 10 minutes of blow drying. Took about 2 hours of off and on drying time. Well worth the attitude adjustment it gave him! He was extremely humble for weeks.

5. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    I just bathed mine a few days ago. Get a tub of water, a bit of vinegar (to make them shiny), and a bit of blue dawn dish soap.

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    And don't forget to post pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by