Giving a Silkie a Bath?

Starburst

Jesus Loves You
May 25, 2020
Western Washington
Hey, everyone! Over here in Washington, it’s been pouring rain with lots of mud. My Silkie, Mochi, is currently covered and mud, and I’m trying to figure out a way to get her nice and clean again so it doesn’t just keep building up. Any tips? I was thinking of giving her a bath, if I did, how would I go about doing that? Or is there other suggestions on how to clean her? Thank you so much!
7E6C0C81-7AAA-40BB-85F6-BB73FBE0E315.jpeg

Hey, everyone! Over here in Washington, it’s been pouring rain with lots of mud. My Silkie, Mochi, is currently covered and mud, and I’m trying to figure out a way to get her nice and clean again so it doesn’t just keep building up. Any tips? I was thinking of giving her a bath, if I did, how would I go about doing that? Or is there other suggestions on how to clean her? Thank you so much!
View attachment 2470094
Hello! I don’t own Silkies, but a while back I watched Chicken People on Amazon (people who raise show chicken). The woman with Silkies was always giving hers a bath in the sink and blow drying her feathers :lau . I’m sure you can do the same (I’m guessing Dawn dishwashing soap should be safe since it’s used on oil spill animals). I think the important thing is you need to keep her warm - so either blow dry or keep inside in a warm spot until she’s dry. Only problem is she’ll probably get wet and muddy again ... If you do give her a bath, you might want to figure out a way to keep her in a dry spot outside. Just some thoughts since I’m not an expert. Google might have some advice, too, or you can wait until an experienced Silkie owner comments:wee.

I've bathed my silkies a couple times, warm water in the sink, dish soap, Epsom salts if you like, pat with the towel and blow dry. Have somewhere warm inside to keep her, maybe overnight, until she's completely dry. Some chickens chill out and tolerate it and some really are not fans.

But, for dirt like this, I'd make sure she has ways to manage it herself. A good dry dust bathing spot and plenty of shelter, a draft free coop for if she goes to bed a bit damp. You don't want to be having to bath her every day. My silkies get this wet pretty often and they always manage it fine, I've only bathed them to treat issues. As long as her down layer isn't getting wet and matted, just the outer feathers, and that's not a big deal.

I'd offer her a dry dust bath. My silkies are right up there with the swamp monster status. I just offer them dry coop. And a dry dust bath area. So far they clean themselves back up good. They can be dirt balls. As long as they are dry!

Hello! I don’t own Silkies, but a while back I watched Chicken People on Amazon (people who raise show chicken). The woman with Silkies was always giving hers a bath in the sink and blow drying her feathers :lau . I’m sure you can do the same (I’m guessing Dawn dishwashing soap should be safe since it’s used on oil spill animals). I think the important thing is you need to keep her warm - so either blow dry or keep inside in a warm spot until she’s dry. Only problem is she’ll probably get wet and muddy again ... If you do give her a bath, you might want to figure out a way to keep her in a dry spot outside. Just some thoughts since I’m not an expert. Google might have some advice, too, or you can wait until an experienced Silkie owner comments:wee.
I've bathed my silkies a couple times, warm water in the sink, dish soap, Epsom salts if you like, pat with the towel and blow dry. Have somewhere warm inside to keep her, maybe overnight, until she's completely dry. Some chickens chill out and tolerate it and some really are not fans.

But, for dirt like this, I'd make sure she has ways to manage it herself. A good dry dust bathing spot and plenty of shelter, a draft free coop for if she goes to bed a bit damp. You don't want to be having to bath her every day. My silkies get this wet pretty often and they always manage it fine, I've only bathed them to treat issues. As long as her down layer isn't getting wet and matted, just the outer feathers, and that's not a big deal.
I'd offer her a dry dust bath. My silkies are right up there with the swamp monster status. I just offer them dry coop. And a dry dust bath area. So far they clean themselves back up good. They can be dirt balls. As long as they are dry!
Thank you everyone so much for your info and tips! I went ahead and bathed her, and she’s looking pretty great!
Before:
5A1ABFB7-7649-4CF0-A060-435AEEBA9628.jpeg

27FDC970-315B-49B3-B47B-EF7E1062C630.jpeg

After!
232CD6A0-C468-4983-8B28-48BB8DFF03F3.jpeg

FD6253C5-CCC5-42F3-B7FB-87B7EEE1C802.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom