Giving a talk

Horsefly

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Virginia
I've been contacted by my 4-H agent about a school that wants to learn more about animals and their care. She said they are really interested in ducks. There are about 20 kids I think in 7-12th grades. I'm going to go talk there next week and am going to bring a duck, some chicks and maybe a full grown chicken, and either a rabbit or goat. I've got 30 minutes to talk about care and facts on the animals. If anyone had some good points I should bring up about any of those animals I would appresiate it. I figured I'd talk 10 minutes on each one about the houseing and feed needs of them. Beyond that I don't have anything else planned really. Thanks

Good luck with the talk- what a great experience that will be for both you and the kids alike.

Maybe you could talk just a little on responsibility of pet ownership- and how a baby is so cute and fluffy- but they do grow up- dont look so cute and fluffy anymore- maybe pick up some bad habits or arent as tame as when they were little and sometimes get sick and need a vet. That before getting a pet people should realise that it depends on them for its needs and its wrong to dump an animals just because it grew up. Of course when someone sees a cute puppy just before Christmas - things like that dont tend to be the first things people think about- but educating people about that side of things is still important.

Do goats! Say that they actually don't eat cans too!!!!
lol.png

When I brought our duck and chicken to 4-h I just compared what was different between them and some general care of them. I also let each child pet the animals and had them ask questions.

Rachael my Daughter did a poster for the fair on how to keep chickens and she went over it.- I think with both we talked for 1/2 hour.

Just make sure to bring hand sanitizer so that the kids can use it after touching the animals.

Quote:
aint that the truth..
half the kids books and cartoons show them eating trash and tin cans, its soo wrong they are not trash compactors.

Since its older kids I would definately go heavy on the subject of responsibilities involved with owning animals. Kids should know a duckling or chick is not a disposable toy, its sad many little ones are brought home for easter to a house with no brooder or proper setup and die.

Last edited:
I was thinking I could ask them what they have heard about each animal, as to what it eats and how to care for it. Then feed off of that as to if what they heard was right or wrong. Keep giving me ideas.

It may be worthwhile to dispel harmful beliefs concerning feed and care (like the tin can/goat thing, white bread for ducks). So many people cause damage out of ignorance. At least the kids would be informed and could make better choices.

What a wonderful opportunity! Have fun!

Keep in mind that the kids are going to want LOTS of hands-on time, so make plenty of room for that--I would personally say even up to half the time you're there should be hands-on.

I agree completely about focusing heavily on the responsibility of pet ownership and the significant needs of each species. And throw in some really fun facts too--if you can dig up data on how many slugs a duck can eat in a year, or how many pounds of leaves & branches a goat has to eat to be healthy, and so on, they'll probably eat that stuff up (ha ha).

And keep it upbeat! Kids (and people in general) are more motivated by inspiration than by doom-and-gloom, so while it's okay to mention the unfortunate side effects of impulsive pet purchases, keep the focus on the impact they can make by choosing a responsible avenue.

Oh, and don't forget to leave plenty of time for questions.

Have fun! I bet you'll be awesome!

I am a natural resources interpreter and have done an inordinate number of public and school programs so maybe I can give you a couple of pointers. Of course, these are pointers, so take them or leave them as you will.
1. Introduce yourself and your background in your subject. This gives you credibility, especially important to older kids.
2. Bring a helper to hang on to or calm your creatures. Even the tamest critters in a room full of excited kids can be a handful.
3. Choose a theme to talk about. "Owning animals is a great rewarding experience but comes with responsibility" or some such. A theme makes a program more memorable. If it were me, I'd do something like this: State your thematic intent, and then talk about the feed and care requirements, technical stuff, etc. Finish with how rewarding raising healthy happy animals really is, so you end on a positive note that drives home your theme.
4. Draw out a couple of main points to talk about. Depending on how you are every day, you could easily under or over shoot your time goal.
5. Older kids often get this "too cool for whatever you're talking about" thing going on. Trust me, they will soak up your info even if they seem like their heads are turned off. Don't let that phase you.
6. Never say no when someone answers a question incorrectly. "That's a good guess" or "In this case, we..." or something like that really helps keep people engaged. Saying "no" when someone answers your question can turn an audience off.
7. Contrarily, if someone says something like "I've heard goats eat tin cans," go ahead and say "No," but follow up with something they do eat and a positive somethingorother.

Anyway, hopefully this helps. Like I said, take it or leave it, but these are things I use all the time in the field. Good luck and have fun!
cool.png

Quote:
Tell them about domesticated ducks' need for permanent care and that they don't do well when dumped in ponds or parks, and that they don't fly away in the fall. What every Joe on the street should know!

Back
Top Bottom