Giving broody hen chicks

Doorsopenat5

Chirping
Aug 24, 2020
Hi! I have baby chicks coming next week and happen to have a broody hen who I’m actually getting a little worried about- it’s been about a month, and not breaking.
A) should I try to give her the babies
B) should they go in main coop or separate
C) if separate, will the other girls pick on her when she returns (she’s bottom of pecking order).

Thanks!

I'm a broody newbie and just successfully gave my broody baby chicks. She was broody for only 10 days and accepted them. I slipped them under her when it was dark and then checked her early the next morning. I would give it a shot, but if you decide not to then I would break your hen.
As far as keeping them separate, I'm not sure since she's at the bottom of the pecking order. I left mine in with the other hens and they coexist well. Usually the mama hen will protect babies. I've also heard of some people keeping the mama hen separate for a week or two, and then putting them back in with the rest of the flock. You would of course need to reintegrate them if you keep mama/babies totally separate from the rest of the flock. If you have a big enough coop you can put a wire dog kennel in the main coop (you'd have to attach smaller wire to it) and keep mama/babies in there and then let them out once the chicks are older. That way the hen stays in contact with other flock members.

That was a lot of info, but I hope it helps!!

I had a hen who was at the bottom of the pecking order hatch a chick and she did not protect it. The chick was killed by 2 other broody hens. She was broody for a few months. I'm letting her try again. This time I seperated her. So far she has 2 healthy chicks. However, I am not letting her go back to the flock with her chicks. We are selling them because they were accidents. I was not going to let her hatch. I will say, after she was broody for 2 - 3 months the first time, I had to reintegrate her even though she was in the nesting boxes. I will probably have to reintegrate again after I sell the chicks.

I'm a broody newbie and just successfully gave my broody baby chicks. She was broody for only 10 days and accepted them. I slipped them under her when it was dark and then checked her early the next morning. I would give it a shot, but if you decide not to then I would break your hen.
As far as keeping them separate, I'm not sure since she's at the bottom of the pecking order. I left mine in with the other hens and they coexist well. Usually the mama hen will protect babies. I've also heard of some people keeping the mama hen separate for a week or two, and then putting them back in with the rest of the flock. You would of course need to reintegrate them if you keep mama/babies totally separate from the rest of the flock. If you have a big enough coop you can put a wire dog kennel in the main coop (you'd have to attach smaller wire to it) and keep mama/babies in there and then let them out once the chicks are older. That way the hen stays in contact with other flock members.

That was a lot of info, but I hope it helps!!
Thank you! Yes it was! - a follow up question- do the babies do okay in the coop if up a ladder or should I set up a nesting box area for them in the run, if I keep them together with the other girls?

Thank you! Yes it was! - a follow up question- do the babies do okay in the coop if up a ladder or should I set up a nesting box area for them in the run, if I keep them together with the other girls?
Do you mean an actual ladder ,as in cracks where chicks can fall through, or a ramp?

I have a ramp and after the first two days the chicks were able to get down. They weren't able to get back up, so I just lifted them up at night (I didn't have room to make an enclosure on the run floor). The chicks are now 2 weeks old and are able to get up by themselves.

If you have a ladder, I'd make an enclosure on the run floor until they're big enough to get up themselves. I'm guessing that would be a month to two months old. It all depends, ladders can be tricky.

Last edited:
They do not need to be above ground level otherwise the chicks wont be able to get back to their nest. My suggestion is to set up a wire dog crate either in your coop or next to your coop depending on how big your coop is. That way your hen is on ground level with her chicks, and she and the chicks can see the flock. Right now I have a hen separated in a prefab coop next to the real coop. I put a tarp around the inside and made a coop for her because the main flock is using the prefabs actual coop and it is above ground. Ill get a picture when I get home. Move her at night. Good luck!

Do you mean an actual ladder ,as in cracks where chicks can fall through, or a ramp?

I have a ramp and after the first two days the chicks were able to get down. They weren't able to get back up, so I just lifted them up at night (I didn't have room to make an enclosure on the run floor). The chicks are now 2 weeks old and are able to get up by themselves.

If you have a ladder, I'd make an enclosure on the run floor until they're big enough to get up themselves. I'm guessing that would be a month to two months old. It all depends, ladders can be tricky.
Yes a ramp! Even my big girls don’t like to use it and kind of just jump to the middle then bottom haha

I had a hen who was at the bottom of the pecking order hatch a chick and she did not protect it. The chick was killed by 2 other broody hens. She was broody for a few months. I'm letting her try again. This time I seperated her. So far she has 2 healthy chicks. However, I am not letting her go back to the flock with her chicks. We are selling them because they were accidents. I was not going to let her hatch. I will say, after she was broody for 2 - 3 months the first time, I had to reintegrate her even though she was in the nesting boxes. I will probably have to reintegrate again after I sell the chicks.
Did the broody hen take to the chicks the first time, but then just didn’t protect them? Or did she not take to them? Will they be upset if you get rid of her “babies” after they’ve done their job raising them a bit?

They do not need to be above ground level otherwise the chicks wont be able to get back to their nest. My suggestion is to set up a wire dog crate either in your coop or next to your coop depending on how big your coop is. That way your hen is on ground level with her chicks, and she and the chicks can see the flock. Right now I have a hen separated in a prefab coop next to the real coop. I put a tarp around the inside and made a coop for her because the main flock is using the prefabs actual coop and it is above ground. Ill get a picture when I get home. Move her at night. Good luck!
Once the mama hen goes back with the babies, have you found that she has a new sense of empowerment lol, like will she possibly stick up for herself reentering the flock w the newbies?

Back
Top Bottom