giving chickens bread

graggy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
my wife started giving our chickens bread in their coop. they are 9 weeks old. Is bread ok to give them? thanks

The thing to remember with treats is to provide some kind of grit for them. if they have access to a run that has sand or dirt they will probley be ok. My chickens love bread
big_smile.png

We have 6 Australorps,5 Buff orpingtons and two Silver-laced Wyandottes all about 14 weeks old and they have to have their "bread snack" every night when I get home from work. I will note they do NOT like white bread...just refuse to eat it. But the whole grain bread...they go crazy over! I take a couple of slices in the coop with me,sit on the edge of the sandbox and tear off little pieces for them. Most of the time a few of the girls think I'm too slow and get up in my lap and "help" me!

Larry

i have always givin my chickens bread and have never had problems, but i monitor how much i give them. with the ducks, i give them some, but very little because of it getting stuck in the crop. with a ducks big beak they just eat i big piece, a chicken has to brek it into smaller pieces, so i dont worry as much about the chickens as i do the ducks with bread

Back
Top Bottom