giving goats shots

kaya's farm

Songster
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
southern VT
I dont think my goats bled so much last time I gave them a shot, Just a subq but I went too much at an angle. Is it that abnormal for the goat to bleed a bit like drops after being givin an injection of ivomec?
Thank you in advance

You are SUPPOSED TO: pinch up the skin at just below the shoulder and push the needle in at a 45 degree angle.

Having said that, you need someone to hold the goat at the head nice and steady and pinch a poke from the back side very fast.

This sounds nice and easy, and I've even watched the vet, but I've got to do it to Annie tomorrow and I am dreading it. I think this time I'm going to hold the goat and get my husband to do the shot.

I'm just not strong or fast, like I used to be.

DonnaBelle

yes I read and read and it seemed right ..........but i think my angle was off and i scraped to much afraid to put the ivomec into the muscle becasue it stings more. So i will be more persistant in keeping it clean?
We also milk and have a stanction but I did have DH just in case, the goat seemed to loose a bit of blood and that was not the case last time. My gage needle may be a bit big also
Thanks Guys let me know how your shot goes donnabelle

Thanks Redhen for the postive thoughts

It is very normal for any animal to bleed when they get an injection, don't worry about it. It simply means that the needle went through a capillary or small vein.

I just had my vet out to geld a horse and a couple of llamas and while the llamas were down, we trimmed their feet, gave them their monthly shot of Ivermectin, and a tetnus shot since they were being cut, and even he had one bleed a little at the injection site.

What you do need to make sure to do is to pull back on the syringe after you insert it to make sure that you aren't putting the Ivermectin into the vein--as DonnaBelle mentioned, this shot is to be SubQ, not IV. When you pull back on the syringe after inserting the needle you want to make sure that you don't see blood.

Hope that helps--and don't worry, giving injections will soon become as routine as any other animal chore. It really is no big deal.

Good luck!

Therese

Back
Top Bottom