giving them more room?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bnentrup, Oct 9, 2010.

1. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Ok,
    well my pullets have now reached what I consider full size-- one problem now... there are likely too many birds in their tractor. We were hoping to have been moved by now to our new farm where I could have built a larger coop. I am using a 4x10 tractor and have just about 3-square foot per bird. I do move the tractor as needed to give them new grass and a change of scenery.

I DO HAVE another tractor/pen that I could move 1/2 into, but my gut feeling says NO
    -they are justing starting to lay, and I do not want to change something this drastic and mess them up
    -they have been together since day 1
    -we are close to winter, where their body heat will be important and they cuddle up nicely.

They EASILY fit in the upper-deck of the tractor and each have space to perch.

What should I do? Should I do the move/split, or keep em together? I suppose once winter hits, there is no need to move the tractor to fresh grass (since there is none). I could make/connect a chicken run to the tractor to give more exercise space.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Unless they are showing signs of feeling crowded, like a lot of squabbles or pecking, I'd also be inclined not to separate them. Sounds like it would be better to add a bit more run, as you suggested. They don't need 4 sq ft to sleep! And I am normally a proponent of MORE space, not less -- but not for sleeping only.

3. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Good advice and great reply-- thanks! I agree.. I did notice when I let them out the other day-- they wanted to 'fly' -- therefore I will probably make a 'taller' run too so that they can enjoy flapping a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by