Glad to be here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by trueblue8364, Oct 18, 2016.

1. trueblue8364

trueblue8364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2016
    Dallas
    Looking forward to some great information. I have a fairly large farm with a little bit of everything. Fencing in 5 acres currently for ostrich and emu in Texas. So I am looking for advice as well as looing for some birds!!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join join us here! I'm afraid I have no experience of ostrich or emu although we did have an escaped rhea once in our village! It was very fast as it ran past our house. I'm sure you would like our ostrich and emu section, please do pop by ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/49/ostriches-emu-rheas

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

3. trueblue8364

trueblue8364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2016
    Dallas
    Thanks Yorkshire!!

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Happy to have you as part of the community! @Yorkshire Coop has given you a great link so I'll just say have a great time on here and best wishes!

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here! I have never raised Ostrich, but I would love to get into something like that someday.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some of the chicken folks have had emus. I know one thing that stood out was not to have a lot of trees close together because when they decide to run they can end up injured or dead. If they are very well socialized when young, they will be easier to handle. One member used to post videos of them from baby emu stage to mature - lots of fun and entertainment watching them. Look stock over carefully - emus need good sound legs to hold up their bodies. Leg injuries can seriously reduce quality of life.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, trueblue, and :welcome! Pleased to have you aboard! Best wishes to you and your emu and ostrich ranch! :weee

8. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Welcome! :welcome So glad to have you a part of this splendid community! I've never had ostrich (not quite sure on plural spelling) or emu (not sure on plural spelling either) but I can imagine they're entertaining big things! :p I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful information here to get you started with those interesting species of birds!

9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by