Glad to be here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SFlChicks, Oct 28, 2010.

1. SFlChicks

SFlChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    South Florida
    My husband and I got our first chicks on 9/19/2010. We got a Dominique and a Welsummer (both pullets / hens). The following week we got a buff Orpington. They are joining our much loved family of critters as pets, not potential dinners. The eggs will be a perk and I am thrilled with the added pest control feature! [​IMG]

My husband thought I was joking, then nuts, when I told him I wanted to get chickens. It was actually an old friend of his that convinced him this was actually a great idea. He is now totally on board and very fond of our Peeps.

Our girls are Millie (Orpington), Maddie (Welsumer) and Hattie (Dominique).

Millie's wings look like golden angel wings. She is our baby at 5 weeks and loves to be hand fed.
    Maddie is a beautiful golden brown. She likes to be held and is the calmest of the three. She is 6 weeks old.
    Hattie is black and white. She hates to be alone so she is frequently alongside one of her sisters.

The guardian of the girls is our dog, Lacy. Our older dog, Skeeter, could care less [​IMG]
    We also have 2 indoor cats, and 2 freshwater fish tanks.

We live in Florida and this is the perfect weather to get started with our little family of Peeps!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

from Washington State!!!

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from Tucson and [​IMG] Congratulations on getting chickens! [​IMG]

5. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    Welcome to the site; it's nice to have another! Everything you'll ever want to know about your birds can be found here.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Another warm welcome from Washington

congrats on getting chickens

Imp

7. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    welcome to the club. you will learn allot from other chickener.I notice that you have an Orpington [yours color is buff BO]
    i have 2BO my does not well when it is hot anything above 70. they spread the wing out to cool off. i used frozen water bottles so they could lay near to on top of them. i am in tenn. it not like florida with a lot humidity and heats. good luck with your girls.
    laura

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by