Glass incubator question.

ChrisS

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Gastonia NC
I am planning on building an incubator out of an old 10g tank. I'm wondering about air circulation. Since it is glass I can't drill vents at the bottom will I be ok with only vents on top? I will have a fan circulating air.

I can't answer your question. But, I saw a cool youtube video today. The lady added rocks to her incubator to help retain heat. If you have problems with all that glass, you should add rocks!

Consider where you locate the fan as you can use it to draw in new air from the top and blow it to the bottom and across the bottom and out the top on the other side.

You will need to protect the eggs from direct air from the fan as it will dry them out too fast. Perhaps a false back to blow the air into and then the air comes out the bottom into the compartment holding/protecting the eggs.

Does this make sense?

Consider where you locate the fan as you can use it to draw in new air from the top and blow it to the bottom and across the bottom and out the top on the other side.

You will need to protect the eggs from direct air from the fan as it will dry them out too fast. Perhaps a false back to blow the air into and then the air comes out the bottom into the compartment holding/protecting the eggs.

Does this make sense?

Yes it does. So if I were to put a wall and put holes at the bottom of it I could still essentially have my top and bottom holes still vented through the top. And I could use this wall to channel my wires through as well. Thanks!

I converted a 10 gallon fish tank into an incubator. I have an old woodstove fan on the very top of my incubator and I set it on a dimmer switch so I can control the speed of the fan. I did not drill any vent holes into my incubator at all. The top is foam insulation and I have a small vent on top. I will be setting eggs really soon and I will let you know how it goes!

I converted a 10 gallon fish tank into an incubator. I have an old woodstove fan on the very top of my incubator and I set it on a dimmer switch so I can control the speed of the fan. I did not drill any vent holes into my incubator at all. The top is foam insulation and I have a small vent on top. I will be setting eggs really soon and I will let you know how it goes!

Awesome I look forward to hearing how it goes. I have insulated mine with styrofoam I'll take pics and post when I'm finished.

Yes it does. So if I were to put a wall and put holes at the bottom of it I could still essentially have my top and bottom holes still vented through the top. And I could use this wall to channel my wires through as well. Thanks!

The air coming thru the holes will want to do 2 things: blow across the floor of the tank AND rise. THe coldest spot in the tank is likey to be on the bottom of the tank opposite the intake fan.

You may need to incorporate a false bottom as well to move more of the heated air all the way to the other side of the bottom of the tank. You could you a floor with holes in it. You may need to open the base of the false back ( instead of holes cut it completely open except for a couple footings to hold it off the floor). Make sense?

You will need to test temperatures in various areas to see what will work. Lots of work and thinking to build these--lots of fun , too.

Back
Top Bottom