Gleet due to trauma?

16 and me

Songster
Oct 31, 2022
Hi all,
I'm back again with another plea for help. My flock got attacked by a dog on Saturday evening. It crashed through the gate and got into the pen. Annie my broody buff orpington fled the nest of 8 eggs (on day 5) and got to safety. After a few hours I was able to encourage her back into the nest by putting a cage in front of the box giving her a sense of security. She seems to be doing fine. I found Lucy, my 2 year old Silver Laced Wyandotte huddling in the corner of the coop with Agnes my Spotted Sussex who seemed to be comforting her. She was open mouth breathing, still and vent pulsing - almost spasming. The next day I found a broken eggshell, in the coop, either hers or Agnes' based on the pink colour. I didn't expect her to make it through the night, but with some tlc she is improving. I've been hand feeding her wet chick starter, scrambled egg and yogurt & offering elecrolyte water with vitamins & a calcium supplement. She didn't eat at all until late Sunday, but would drink the vitamin water. Her poop was like egg yolk & white mixed. I gave her a calcium-vit d supplement (300mg) Sunday and a warm epsom salt bath. I kept her inside with me to keep her warm and Monday morning she seemed better. She laid a shell-less egg over night, fully intact in the membrane. I brought her out to the coop, and set up a cat carrier, that she sleeps in. Gave her another 300mg Calcium and again today. No further egg, but her eating is steadily increasing, and at least 2 solidish poops today. Her butt feathers are a concrete mess though. I don't know which is worse the stress of the bath, or the crusty bottom, so I soaked it in some mineral oil this evening, and will see how that does. Prior to the stress she would get a bit of a dirty bottom from time to time because she's soooo fluffy butted, but never anything like this. Is this trauma induced mess different from vent gleet that needs treatment? I am really reluctant to medicate her unnecessarily while she's stressed, but if it will help then so-be-it. The rest of the flock seems well but skittish now & highly sensitive to any sudden movements, so I'm trying to balance between keeping them calm & life goes on... I lost 4 hens to the dog, but by the grace of God, I'll have some healthy pullets in a few weeks. Any suggestions? I have no access to a poultry vet, but have someone in the vet field asking around for me.
Thank you all for any suggestions and advice.

Her poop was like egg yolk & white mixed. I gave her a calcium-vit d supplement (300mg) Sunday and a warm epsom salt bath. I kept her inside with me to keep her warm and Monday morning she seemed better. She laid a shell-less egg over night, fully intact in the membrane.
Soaking when they are in distress can put them over the edge, so if she's still not well, then you'll want to take care when doing that.

It sounds like she may just have a mess of egg and urates stuck to her vent feathers. You will want to try to get that cleaned off so flies don't lay eggs and make matters worse with FlyStrike.
If you need to, trim the feathers that have the hardened material on them so it's easier to clean her up.

Check her over well for any injury or bruising. Sometimes even if a bird is not actually "touched" by a predator, they can still suffer injury by running into something when they are panicked.

Work on hydration, keep up with the calcium for a few days and see if she will improve.

Soaking when they are in distress can pu t them over the edge, so if she's still not well, then you'll want to take care when doing that.

It sounds like she may just have a mess of egg and urates stuck to her vent feathers. You will want to try to get that cleaned off so flies don't lay eggs and make matters worse with FlyStrike.
If you need to, trim the feathers that have the hardened material on them so it's easier to clean her up.

Check her over well for any injury or bruising. Sometimes even if a bird is not actually "touched" by a predator, they can still suffer injury by running into something when they are panicked.

Work on hydration, keep up with the calcium for a few days and see if she will improve.
Thank you @Wyorp Rock I'll give her a look over again in the morning, and bring some scissors to trim the feathers. I hadn't considered flies laying eggs. I'll have my daughter help me give her a more thorough exam as well. Funny, Agnes, the little Spotted Sussex that was near death a month ago with an impacted crop is the least affected by the stress, she's the little trooper that is leading the flock out in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom