GLW. 4 weeks. Hens or Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kcarp03, May 31, 2016.

1. Kcarp03

Kcarp03 Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Need individual pics. Cockerel in front

3. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Good looking GLW babies. Front is male, back could be male but looks more female right now.

4. Kcarp03

Ok thank you, I was afraid of that! They've been the aggressive ones of the bunch. I will get better pic of the 2nd one, who happens to have come up missing his/her tail feathers last week. But they both have the bright colored comb area. The 3rd GLW doesn't have the bright colored comb area & is very sweet & the first one to jump up on me & hang out. I will have to rehome any cockerels, not ready for those right now, we're complete newbies with 12 baby chicks to figure out, ha

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  5. Kcarp03

5 weeks now - same bird, 2 diff pics/angles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Cockerel

7. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Ya, they are both boys. Nice lacing, where did you get them?

8. Kcarp03

oh sorry, should have stated, 2 pics of same bird, just different angles, I was trying to get a good side pic and he kept moving around on me! We got all of ours(12) at our local Farmer's Co-Op in Fayetteville, AR. We have 4 diff breeds, 3 each. I will get a pic of my other one that I think is a roo & post. Also has the pronounced comb. Is it just the Comb that indicates Roo? I know I'd read that the early comb development isn't a 100% indication. I'm a total newbie, so I have no idea. haha Thank you!!

9. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    What you want to look for is not just the amount of comb, but the color too. Pullets won't get red like that pic until they are close to laying. If it was a big comb but pale at that age, it could be iffy. But if the comb is red like that at 5 weeks, even if it's not that big, it's almost definitely a boy.

10. Kcarp03

My 2nd GLW, guessing this is a cockerel also?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by