Go ahead...crush my dreams....are 2 of my 6 "pullets" really roos?

Mar 31, 2022
southwest Utah
I feel pretty certain of the answer but figured it was worth asking...they are right about 9 weeks old.
Silver-laced and gold-laced wyandottes.

2022_05_08-the-standoff.jpg

hm, good point....
I got a Cochin Bantam rooster with my first batch of chicks (I knew nothing) and he is the best. He has never tried to attack and is super good with his ladies. However, in the same batch I also got a frizzle rooster who was terrible. We could not pick him up because he would peck and flog and regardless of wether the hens wanted bred or not, he was going to breed them. It really just depends on the rooster. So, as only a little more then a beginner myself, I say a rooster is fine, as long as he is well mannered. If there is any sign that he will be a nuisance, get rid of him. Though it is a personal decision. Many start with pullets and get a roo as they get farther into chicken owning. The decision is yours.

...annnnnnd, they are gone...but GUESS WHAT???? It turns out the guy that wanted them lives 3 houses down from me (I did not know this because it was another neighbor who found somebody to take them) AND he's not going to eat them, he's going to keep them... so in the early mornings when I am doing my yardwork, I will hear them in the near distance and smile. 🥰

They are males. You don't need to keep either of them if you don't want to. Especially as a beginner, it might be best to sell or give them away and buy two pullets, if you want them. Better to do that now while they are young and more flexible in the pecking order rather than later when they are not.
hm, good point....

They are males. You don't need to keep either of them if you don't want to. Especially as a beginner, it might be best to sell or give them away and buy two pullets, if you want them. Better to do that now while they are young and more flexible in the pecking order rather than later when they are not.
I agree. Much better to do it sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom