Go big or keep it small?

Two nests for nine birds would work. It gives them an option and then they all lay in the one anyway. On the rare occasion a hen can't hold it so lays in the other as the favorite nest is occupied.

Not sure where you are located - but we're in the land of snow and cold.
The older my hens get, the less likely they are to go out in the snow.
Because the older girls won't go out...neither do the younger ones! Darn birds. Didn't know they were sheep!

I have 17 birds in a 116sq' coop. I'm glad I made it bigger, as I'm finding they go out first thing to scarf up the treats I give them. Then they turn round and go right back indoors if it's cold or snowy or well, seasonal. So I've been giving them something to do during the daytime - hang a head of green stuff - give them BOSS in the bedding - mealworms at dinnertime - something to occupy them until bugs return come April.

As for nesting boxes, I'd suggest a minimum of 3 boxes. When the flock was at 7 layers, I'd find eggs in all 3 nests - and often 3 nests were occupied with a 'girl waiting in the wings'...stomping her foot! If you can find space, perhaps even 4 nests.

I've rebuilt the nests to be 3 on top and 3 below (so total of 6 nests), thus far, only 3 nests are generally used! Two on top, one on the bottom! So, fickle creatures that they are - they'll choose where to lay on their own.

Back
Top Bottom