1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Go to bed, Russell!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Red&Yellow, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    I know chickens are generally quirky birds, but some of mine....goodness, they are WIERD. My dear sweet Russell is a black sex-link, a pullet (originally named Raven by me, my brother said more like a crow, he likes Russell Crowe... [​IMG] ). Her sire was a GLW, mother of course BR. She is pure black, black beak, feet, and even half of her rosecomb is black--but she has two dark red spots of feathers behind her ears.

Lately I've been taking care of the birds after dinner, about sundown, so I get to witness their individual bedtime routine. Now, Russell is in with the EEs, one of the two non-EEs in that flock, and they go to bed earlier than anybody. So I go out there and all the EEs are roosted up and fine. But I go to give the other flock water and I see some dirt being flung near the fence between the flocks. The motion-sensor light is on, but its range excludes that area. I go closer and what do I find?? Creative little Russell, who is no means the lowest on the pecking order, wants to dustbathe on her OWN time. [​IMG] So she dustbathers at dusk!!! Any stories crazier than Russell's? (oh, and a pic [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

2. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    I have one chicken who trys to lift one leg and peck the other at the same time and falls down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by