GOAT BABY ALREADY ARRIVED!!! NEED TO BUILD FENCE NOW!!!

my silkie is a new mum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
We reserved 2 nubian doe kids. And 1 has already arrived!!! We need to build a temporary pen for the little girls. The chicken coop is very big and predador safe (it was made of an old ancient barn found on our property (it is in amazing condition). And so since the coop is so big for our 12 chickens, I was thinking of fencing of the back half temporarily for the two goats until I figure out how to make our old fence "water proof" for our does when the get older. I know it sound irresponsible, but I have done tons of reaserch. And we lock our chickens up every night and I need help so advice please!!!! I would really apreciate it.

Why block them off? We keep our goats and chickens in the same pen for most of the summer. We move the goats during the winter to get them on less muddy ground. Our goats love to sleep inside the coop with the chickens. We hope to build more fences this spring but till then all of our goats and chickens get along great in one big pen.

If you house your goats with your chickens just don't let them get to the feed. I learned this the hard way. It can kill them.

I run some of my goats with my chickens but bheila is right on... chicken feed can kill goats. They think it's chocolate and will easily eat and eat and eat and then bloat. So you have to make sure they cannot get to the chicken feed.

If you don't want them with your chickens or can't keep them from their feed then your idea sounds like it should work just fine for the time being.

Good luck and have lots of fun!

We will need to see pictures ya know.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom