Goat balding?

allanimals21

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
MN
my fainter doe is balding. I noticed it on her back over her spine and a little around her neck. She looks like she has dandruff. My alpine wether that is with her is not balding but has a little bit of flakes. Any ideas?

Mites or lice? Another thing to watch is if she is rubbing on something to help her shed out. She could just be rubbing too hard and causing hair loss.
I would go ahead and treat her for lice though.

Treat for lice and also spray the affected area with BluKote. A fungal infection can cause that.

Could also be mineral deficiency.. Is she bred? Late gestation really seems to bring on mineral deficiencies. Heavy parasite loads can also cause coat trouble...or, at least, that's the common wisdom.

I'd probably just make sure she's got good loose mineral and deworm her with ivermectin. Ivermectin will kill external parasites (lice/mites), too, if she has any. To make sure you get externals good, repeat the treatment in about 3wks..

If she's not had good mineral to this point, you might do some research on copper bolusing and Bo-Se.. You might also consider drenching her with a product called Red Cell for about a week...it's basically like highly concentrated, highly bioavailable liquid vitamins and minerals.

Something else to consider is adding a bit of black oil sunflower seed to the diet.. Like, a handful at a time.. If the wether isn't having any coat trouble, keep him out of the sunflower seeds as they're pretty high in phosphorus.....unbalanced phosphorus + male goats = bad times.

Treat with the BluKote first. It is cheap, fast and safe. Various fungal infections causing hair loss are by no means rare in goats, and a lot of times only one animal in the herd will be affected. If the hair starts to grow back in a few days, you know you are on the right track. If it doesn't, you know to try something else.

I once had an Alpine buck that lost most of his hair on his neck and a good portion of it elsewhere. Since he was out in pasture, I didn't notice the problem until it was fairly well advanced. Meaning he was pretty bald. I sprayed him liberally with BluKote and there was a marked improvement in less than a week. He looked pretty funny for a while there though. You don't see a purple buck every day.....

she rubs alot tryin to shed. so maybe that is the whole problem. She is just a little red on her back and her hair is thinning. I don't see and scabs or anything. I don't see any crawlies and like I said the wethers coat looks good other than a little bit of flakes. Though I think he just suffers from dry skin. Hes always been a little flakey (in more than one way
wink.png
)

jojo@rolling acres farm :

I would treat for both external and internal parasites. Injectable de-wormer for goats or de-wormer paste along with a "pour on" product like Cylence.

Joni

I actually wormed a doe with Ivomec 1% (given orally @ 1ml/25lbs) and hit her with Cylence at the same time.. I suspect she may have had a little external parasite situation going on, but she's black, so it's hard to tell.. Either way, she needed to be dewormed anyway (had just kidded) so instead of reaching for Cydectin or Dectomax, I reached for the Ivomec.. Plus, flies are getting bad, so I figured I'd just go ahead and pour a little CyLence on as well..

If there was a lice or mites situation going on, there's not anymore! lol

Worms, flies, lice, mites...four birds, two stones.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom