Goat banding questions

Bigtom Turkey

Crowing
Nov 29, 2020
Indiana
So, a few weeks ago I wanted to get into dairy goats, I got a buck (still a baby) and made plans to get a doe or two. However, after getting a upset gut, (from drinking some goat mik) I decided it was not for me. So I was going to sell the boy but he is really cute and I already like him, so I banded him.
My question are these:
1. at 5 weeks is he to young to band (I heard there urethra might not be big enough at that time)
2. how long will it take for his testicles to fall off
3. I heard after a week you can cut them off with scissors, is that true
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Fias co farms ! A great website to learn about goats. They can answer your questions and many more that you will have if you decide to keep goats. By the way, about your milk, The conditions in which you milk your goats has a great influence on how any milk taste. Also any fresh milk will not taste like store bought ( forgive me if I am preaching to the choir ). Still has all the butterfat. And goat milk is naturally homogenized meaning the butterfat doess not separate easily from the milk which gives it a different taste and texture. I'll admit it is an aquired taste.
And another by the way, Remember, goats are a herd animal. They will be trouble if they do not have another goat to pal around with (human company will do in a pinch but they prefer full time companionship).

If he's already banded, then it's too late to worry about it.

It takes as long as it takes, usually about 2 weeks

Do NOT cut them off! There is no reason to touch them, so DON'T TOUCH.

No, I've banded as early as 3 weeks with no problems and had intact bucks get urinary calculi. The banding thing is a theory, nothing more. And yeah, once the band has been on for about 3 minutes, just leave it. Anything you do from there until they fall off is more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom