Goat Bedding

Kennison Cota

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2017
DISCLAIMER, I know, I'm sorry this is a platform for backyard chickens, but I'm in a goat crisis! I've heard bad things about straw and shavings to use as bedding for my goats, saying that they'll eat it and bloat. What do you use? Should I keep them on dirt or put down some other type of bedding?

we keep ours on shavings and straw sometimes it will be fine, you could use dirt but that might create mud which would help bacteria grow.

also u could check out backyard herds if u want:)

Generally, goats have zero interest in eating straw if there's something tastier to nibble. At one point my dad had a herd of sixty, and I never noticed one eating the bedding unless it was newly spread junk hay and they'd found something tasty (i.e., a stray bit of alfalfa.) Even kids that are still figuring out the nibbles aren't interested.

Hi. Our goat enclosure has a dirt floor. We added a layer of gravel with stall mats on top putting straw on top. Goats love it and it's easy to clean out

My favorite bedding is a generous layer of shavings with straw on top. They may nibble on the fresh straw right after it is put down but it won't hurt them. The only reason I can think of for the goats to eat the shavings is because they are not getting enough feed and they are starving. Another good bedding, and I don't know what it is called, is made for horses. It is in pelleted form and it comes in a bag. It is very absorbent and some people swear by it.

Back
Top Bottom