Goat breeds? (Brush clearing and pets)

I generally pay between 5 dollars and 30 for baby boys. You will spend around a hundred raising them depending on what you feed them.

Ahhh okay, that makes sense! Maybe I'll run the electric then!

I'll look for tbat or similar and definitely avoid blocks, thanks!

That's a good idea with the smaller door way and the flap, maybe I'll have to add one. Hadn't thought about the weather changing directions.

Awww they certainly sound like little trouble makers but also a lot of fun!! I'll definitely prepare for both then.

Will definitely have to change food slowly too then! So what about weaning them? and I hadn't thought about them being loud from grain, that's a good point. Maybe I'll avoid it then. And maybe avoid lamancha and nubian. Do you think crosses would be loud?

I'll see if I can get that shed or build something similar. I'm glad those babies are good too, I wasn't sure :) will start with a pair then and loom for milk replacer. They definitely are cute! :)

And oh that's cheap! I'll look into these ones :)

I usually wean my kids at around 8-10 weeks old. I feed them a handful of sweet 16 feed, or goat ration, and I am constantly stuffing hay or grass in their mouths. Any milk increases should be made slowly, ounces at a time. I will start out feeding three times a day than switch to two after a couple of weeks. If the person you get the goat kids are feeding something different than mix the two for a day or two.

So how do you do it? Just stop giving them milk one day or more like a gradual thing of giving them more and more hay? How much milk should they usually be getting per day or feeding? Or is that on the instructions? That makes sense! :) I'll definitely mix it if they're on something different. The first few ads, with the 1-3 week olds, would still be on a bottle right? When can they start getting hay? Also you mentioned earlier grain making them loud but does it also make them pushy? Like are the pushy mean goats usually the ones that want their grain?

Goats can be pushy regardless, they aren't usually mean. If they anticipate grain coming at a certain time of day they will yell all day until they get it. They are always looking for an opportunity.

I will just give you a general rule of feeding for a large breed goat. I would ask how much the breeder is feeding and use that as your starting guide.

The first week 8-10 ounces 3 times a day
Week 2-4 10 ounces 3 times a day
Week 5-9 weeks work up to 20 ounces 2 times a day
Start weaning by cutting down on the amount in the bottle

I always have followed up the milk bottle with some warm water, the older they get the more water I give, by weaning I start giving one feeding as just water and eventually both bottles are water, they should eat more other stuff as milk decreases.

If you are using a milk replacer make sure it's for goats, I use Advance Kid replacer, it's made out of goat milk. You can Google it to see if you can find it. It's easy to mix, I add the replacer in a 2 quart container, add warm water, shake, and fill my bottles, I refrigerate the extra, to reheat I put it in the bottles, put the bottles in a bucket of hot water and they warm up quickly, in about 5-10 minutes. I use the screw on nipples that go on measured bottles or on plastic pop bottles.

So is it more just a matter of not letting them be brats? And maybe not giving them grain every day? Maybe just ehen trimming hoofs? I've seen some people use it when milking too but that seems like it would be a daily thing and they'd be yelling?

Thanks for all the info on feeding them!! Will be very useful when I get them.

I'll look for that brand!

Just remember goats are the opposite of fences, and the opposite of trees. Make your fences twice as strong as you think they need to be and check them often also protect any trees you don't want killed.

I like Kinder goats and Golden Guernsey goats. My avatar is my GG... Rusty.
Kinders are Nubian/ Pygmy, mine are loud and rambunctious while my GG's are quiet and mellow.

Goats eat things from the highest point they can reach down so the height of your brush may play into your decision.

Goats are brats, I guess that's part of the appeal, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

That makes sense! They'd probably be so cute I wouldn't be mad hahah and thank you! :)

Just remember goats are the opposite of fences, and the opposite of trees. Make your fences twice as strong as you think they need to be and check them often also protect any trees you don't want killed. 

I like Kinder goats and Golden Guernsey goats. My avatar is my GG... Rusty.
Kinders are Nubian/ Pygmy, mine are loud and rambunctious while my GG's are quiet and mellow.

Goats eat things from the highest point they can reach down so the height of your brush may play into your decision.

That makes a lot of sense!! I'll definitely make the fences strong then and keep them away from or fence certain trees.

I've never heard of those kind but will look into them! They seem cool :)

Some of it is taller and some of it is undergrowth. The big raspberries and weeds can grow very tall in their orime, maybe 4 or 5 feet high, sometimes 6 feet even. So don't know if the minis could reach that?

Back
Top Bottom