Goat/Critter Proof Duck/Goose Feeders

MamacatPatch

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 10, 2007
I have an unusual situation. We have a large fenced area where we keep our three Boer goats, seven ducks and six weeder geese. We have two sheds as well and a covered outside area. One of the sheds has a small feeder troth as well as a grate for feeding them hay.

The problem is, as the weather permits, I toss the sweet feed, the grain, the oats and the meatbird on the sand/ground outside so everyone can eat. BUT the goats bully everyone else and fill their bellies with the duck/goose food before they go eat their own food UNLESS I stand there with the water hose. They have learned if I'm holding the hose I'll spray them to keep them away until the ducks/geese get their food first. But everything changes in winter when there is ice/snow/bitter cold outside. No hoses and I can't just toss the food in the snow.

Which finally brings me to my question. I'm trying to come up with a sturdy goat proof, water proof, critter proof container that I can open and close easily and then lock down so I can put the duck/goose feed in it. Probably something with maybe 2-inch round holes that the ducks and geese could stick their heads into to eat but that the goats couldn't reach, at least not easily.

Maybe something made of hard wood or hard plastic that I can attach a latch to the lid or something like that? I'd like to be able to fill it with feed from the OUTSIDE of the fenced area. The less tromping through the ice and snow in my big clunky boots I have to do the better I like it! HA.

Anyone made any contraptions like that? If so, how'd you do it and do you have any pictures? I need to build one fast since Old Man Winter is just around the corner! Any and all ideas appreciated. Meanwhile, I'm going to keep looking for a solution!!

Marci

We have a similar issue. Goats share the paddock with the geese> I solved it by putting the food behind the bars of a dog run/cage that we use to store our hay/straw. It backs onto the paddock, has bars that the geese can get their heads through but the goats cannot. Well, they can get a tongue through to stick some grains of wheat to it, but they gave up after a day!

Quote:
Never thought of this and it sounds possible for me. The problem is most of their fencing has squares big enough that they've stuck their heads clear through to get at the grass and then got stuck because of their horns. I'd have to find a way to block that section of the fence, maybe put chicken wire over the fence and cut holes for the geese/ducks to poke their heads through!

Do you have a pix of your set-up?

I have an unusual situation. We have a large fenced area where we keep our three Boer goats, seven ducks and six weeder geese. We have two sheds as well and a covered outside area. One of the sheds has a small feeder troth as well as a grate for feeding them hay.

The problem is, as the weather permits, I toss the sweet feed, the grain, the oats and the meatbird on the sand/ground outside so everyone can eat. BUT the goats bully everyone else and fill their bellies with the duck/goose food before they go eat their own food UNLESS I stand there with the water hose. They have learned if I'm holding the hose I'll spray them to keep them away until the ducks/geese get their food first. But everything changes in winter when there is ice/snow/bitter cold outside. No hoses and I can't just toss the food in the snow.

Which finally brings me to my question. I'm trying to come up with a sturdy goat proof, water proof, critter proof container that I can open and close easily and then lock down so I can put the duck/goose feed in it. Probably something with maybe 2-inch round holes that the ducks and geese could stick their heads into to eat but that the goats couldn't reach, at least not easily.

Maybe something made of hard wood or hard plastic that I can attach a latch to the lid or something like that? I'd like to be able to fill it with feed from the OUTSIDE of the fenced area. The less tromping through the ice and snow in my big clunky boots I have to do the better I like it! HA.

Anyone made any contraptions like that? If so, how'd you do it and do you have any pictures? I need to build one fast since Old Man Winter is just around the corner! Any and all ideas appreciated. Meanwhile, I'm going to keep looking for a solution!!

Marci

How about this - It's what I use - but I DIY'd mine

1624883154860.png

Only downfall is if the goats figure out they can tip it. Maybe put it up on some blocks and then screw it from the inside into a fence?

Back
Top Bottom