Goat dewormer for chickens??

Mandied

Songster
Jul 24, 2022
Vincennes, Indiana
I saw that you can use safeguard goat dewormer on chickens. It says .23 ml, what if you have 7 birds 4 of which are roughly 5 lbs and the other 3 are around 1 lb. How much should we give them? We can't feed them separately they are in same coop and run and eat out of same feeder.

I take it this is the form that treats drinking water that the whole flock drinks from. When medicating chickens by this method, you total the combined weight of the entire flock, prepare the watering container with the amount of water they all consume in one day, and add the medication following the dose per pound or kilogram of body weight.

It averages out that the small birds get the amount they need because they consume less than the larger birds and vice versa.

If the worming med is a paste, then dose each bird individually by giving the appropriate amount for their weight directly into the beaks.

I saw that you can use safeguard goat dewormer on chickens. It says .23 ml, what if you have 7 birds 4 of which are roughly 5 lbs and the other 3 are around 1 lb. How much should we give them? We can't feed them separately they are in same coop and run and eat out of same feeder.
For most worms except for Tapeworms:
Fenbendazole - Liquid Goat Dewormer (Safeguard) or Equine Paste (Safeguard/Panacur) is dosed by Weight.
Dosing is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row.

The liquid and paste settle out of water, so will not be nearly effective in water (or feed) as given orally - it's best to direct oral dose your birds.

Since you have birds that are different weights, just draw up their doses ahead of time, then go out early in the morning, grab each one from the roost and dose them.

There is a fenbendazole "formula" called Safeguard Aquasol which was developed a few years ago, this formula is meant to go in drinking water, it's very expensive.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Back
Top Bottom