Goat Discipline???

cparian

Songster
12 Years
Nov 5, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have a pygmy buck I think he is about a year old. He was a sort of rescue so I am not positive on the exact date. He was completely scared & shy of everyone when we got him. I think the previous owner let his kids mistreat him. After much work & time he is now no longer afraid of me & willing comes to me for scratches & love. However he is still wary of my DBF but does warm up to him more everyday. Strangers are still very scarey to him. Within the past week he has started to bite at my pants leg & boots & has started to tip his head at me when he feels I have not given him enough attention. My question is...what is the proper way to discourage undesired behavior in a goat? I don't want him to progress to actually butting me with his horns & don't want to do anything that he will interpret as a challenge or invitation to a goat sparring match. I know goats do this to each other & this is natural but I didn't know if there is a proper way to discourage this behaviour when it is shown to a human?

All goats nibble and nuzzle when they want attention. It's just normal goat behavior. They don't butt people they like really hard. they might put their head next to your thing and push, but it's more like leaning not butting. He's not being mean to you. He likes you.

Bottle fed goats are friendly and follow people around like dogs. Just because a goat is skittish and shy doesn't mean he was ever mistreated. It means he wasn't handled as a young kid. If your goat has come around to allow you to pet him and hand feed him, you are doing great.

When 1 of mine misbehaves I treat them like the other goats do and pinch the ear. Other goats will bite the ear to make the goat leave if its annoying them. Dont push against his head as that is how they choose pecking order and yes its a bad habit that if you do it will cause him to start butting you. It will only get worse if you push his head. Just pinch his ear with little pinches and he will get the picture. If not do it harder. It works for me here as I have some that can get out of hand and all I have to do is reach for their ear.

We flick or tap the nose and verbalize ("knock it off" is what we say) it works for us, if one of us say those words the goats look to see who is doing what! Goats are smart and ours know a number of useful commands, especially "move" which makes it easier to carry in hay, feed, etc. or get them away from a door/gate area.

Quote:
See, that's where lamanchas have an evolutionary advantage
wink.png

When petting a goat never pet the top of their heads. This can cause them to start butting people.

And, as mentioned, don't ever push their heads. Most love to have their ears scratched and to have you scratch right at the top between their shoulders.

My goats have also learned a few words by repetition. I haven't had to 'discipline' any of mine yet so I have no real experience to help with your actual question but it sounds like good advice above.

Back
Top Bottom