goat down

1 old hen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 4, 2013
I have a goat about 1 1/2 years old see started woblin and then went down. can get her up for abut 10 min then she goes down. vet gave med for fungle worm steroide and pain. vet says wait and see. ben about 1 week no improvement. Just thinking it might not get better and if I should put her down. I do not want to seem mean but not shure if I am fighting a lost cause. any one else ever have this problem? Any help apriciated Thanks 1 old hen

I have a goat about 1 1/2 years old see started woblin and then went down. can get her up for abut 10 min then she goes down. vet gave med for fungle worm steroide and pain. vet says wait and see. ben about 1 week no improvement. Just thinking it might not get better and if I should put her down. I do not want to seem mean but not shure if I am fighting a lost cause. any one else ever have this problem? Any help apriciated Thanks 1 old hen
Time to fire that veterinarian and get a new one. NO good livestock vet is so carefree about an animal that is down. Anytime an animal is down it is an emergency, and if they're a good vet, they will have an answer for you and a proper course of treatment.

What did the veterinarian administer? What is a "fungle worm" or are did you make a typo? The specific medications, their dose, and dosing schedule is important to know.

She could be down for many reasons. A severe deficiency, anemia, poisoning, meningeal worm, etc.

I suggest you post ALL the answers to these questions on a new thread in Backyard Herds. There are more goat keepers there, more folks experienced with goat diseases.

I think the first thing you should try is some thiamine. She may have polio which is a thiamine deficiency. Even though polio is very common it is often unrecognized and it causes some truly bizarre symptoms in ruminents. If thiamine is given in time the animal should show prompt improvement. In any case the thiamine can't hurt. If it is a thiamine deficiency delay in treatment can be lethal.

Vet gave Dexamethasone 15ml every outher day, Flumiximine 1ml every outher day Vitiamin B COMPLEX everyouther day for 10 days and HI ENERGY SUPPLEMENT 15ml every day. Was checked for fumble worm and outher parisites not found. I made a sling to get her up about 30 min at a time 3-4 times a day. Now can get her up and she stands abount 30 min at a time. Today got her up with out sling and she is taking a few steps and was up about 40-45 min seems to stand prity good and take a few steps not as wobbly and wanting to faull down. Will keep working with her. O no buck in with her or outher 2 does.Thanks for every thing 1 old hen

Vet gave Dexamethasone 15ml every outher day, Flumiximine 1ml every outher day Vitiamin B COMPLEX everyouther day for 10 days and HI ENERGY SUPPLEMENT 15ml every day. Was checked for fumble worm and outher parisites not found. I made a sling to get her up about 30 min at a time 3-4 times a day. Now can get her up and she stands abount 30 min at a time. Today got her up with out sling and she is taking a few steps and was up about 40-45 min seems to stand prity good and take a few steps not as wobbly and wanting to faull down. Will keep working with her. O no buck in with her or outher 2 does.Thanks for every thing 1 old hen

What is 'fumble' worm?

If she has meningeal worms, the worm lives lives in the spinal cord (they get lost in a goat, the target host is a deer). There is no way to test for those in her feces, and can cause a goat to go down. Without a wormer that can cross the blood brain barrier (not all medications can), she will not recover if she indeed has meningeal worms.

I ment to say fungal worm what ever that is. But the goat will stand for a bit now wobbles and front legs now seem week, When she goes back down she goes to her side so I put hay bails on both sides. She eats good and does not seem to have any bowles or urinary problems. I am thinking it might have something to do with brain or nerve problems. Thinking my have to put her down before she starts to suffer badly. This hearts me and my grandchildren. I told the grandchildren if somthing happens I will tack her to a special farm. Just trying to make it easy on them as they are 8 to 2 years old. I get lost in vet talk and confused. Thanks 1 old hen

If it comes from deer I was wondering why the outher goats did not get it. We do have deers and have had the outher goats 1 for 8 years and the outher 5 years. WEbread them for milk and meat. Am getting discouraged if the grandchildren did not like the milk and like the goats as much as we do I would al most give up. Sorry to vew my thoughts in this way but the only place I feel outher will understand. We all injoy interackting with the goats. As I growed up on a 300 acere farm in the mid west with all types of live stock when I was younger then after military survice married and got into chickens about 30 years ago for eggs and mear, and goats about 10 years ago my spouce and grandchildren injoy them as much as I do.

If it comes from deer I was wondering why the outher goats did not get it. We do have deers and have had the outher goats 1 for 8 years and the outher 5 years. WEbread them for milk and meat. Am getting discouraged if the grandchildren did not like the milk and like the goats as much as we do I would al most give up. Sorry to vew my thoughts in this way but the only place I feel outher will understand. We all injoy interackting with the goats. As I growed up on a 300 acere farm in the mid west with all types of live stock when I was younger then after military survice married and got into chickens about 30 years ago for eggs and mear, and goats about 10 years ago my spouce and grandchildren injoy them as much as I do.

Meningeal worm does come from deer. It doesn't hurt deer like it does other animals, though. In a deer, it lives in their gut like most other worms. In a goat, it usually ends up in the spinal cord and causes severe neurological issues. Safeguard can cross the blood brain barrier, and is used to treat an active infection of meningeal worms. Ivermectin can be used as a preventative to kill the worms before they reach the spinal cord or brain, but it does not cross the blood brain barrier and cannot treat an active infection.

Back
Top Bottom