goat dry skin

waddles99

Songster
8 Years
Jun 22, 2013
NJ
I noticed today that one of my goats have dry skin particles, like dandruff, in their fur. It looks like little white specs basically. My other goat doesn't seem to have it. Is there any remedy for it, like a soap or powder or something? Thanks for the input.

Depends on what is causing the problem. Sometimes a vitamin supplement will help. If her skin is dry try feeding some black oil sunflower seeds or maybe a spoonful of whole linseed a day. If nothing else the linseed will give her a glossy coat. Could she have lice? They can cause dandruff.

Your goats are black, right? Do they look like they're turning rusty, as if the black is fading a bit? If so, that is likely a copper deficiency, it is a very obvious sign.

What mineral are you giving them? Is it a block or loose mineral? Are they getting free choice mineral or measured amounts?

Soaps or powders will not fix something that is lacking in the diet. Health begins from the inside. If they aren't taking in what they need, their outside will not look great.

I don't think it is lice or copper deficiency. They are the same color and not getting rusty. They have access to Sodium Bicarbonate and loose minerals 24/7. I will just assume it is dry skin and feed some sunflower seeds.

Back
Top Bottom