Goat eating on her knees

chels23

Songster
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
S.E Kansas
I have a two year old boer doe that I noticed was eating on her knees this morning. I've heard that younger babies that grow too fast sometimes do this, but she is two. This is the first time I've noticed this. I didn't know if it was normal or if there was something wrong. She is walking fine and acting normal.

Yep goat thing!
lol.png
More like lazy or tired neck from grazing or feet tired LOL!

Yep, this is a throat thing with goats. They have to be in a certain position to open the slit in the throat that goes to the rumen. Goats should eat up not down. Goats are not grazers (something I just found out) they are browsers and would rather eat from above than below.

I've got a 11 month old first time pregnant doe that eats on her knees. And she never started doing this behavior until her tummy started growing and it's more consistent know. Would being pregnant have to do anything with that?

Goats are not grazers (something I just found out) they are browsers and would rather eat from above than below.
Yes, I recently found this out as well. Goats that graze tend to have parasite issues. They need to feed away from the ground. Sorry about going off topic, but I really wish I knew this before I got goats.

Back
Top Bottom