Goat Founder - UPDATED foot PICS in #13

Broke Down Ranch

Songster
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
Texas
You may or may not remember the nanny goat that was given back to us that kidded within a week of us getting her home. Anyway, I mentioned that her hooves were horrible. She walks on the back of her feet which makes her "toes" point upward. She came back to us this way. With each step she takes it looks like she is double-jointed at the hock (or whatever it's called on goats). She was/is also severely overweight - she actually has a dewlap and her fat jiggles between her front legs! She has lost some weight but not enough.

Anyway, we have been trimming at her hooves to try and correct the way she walks. Today when we had her in the stand I thought perhaps she had foundered and if this was possibly the reason the man was so willing to just give her back to us (I know, I'm being pessimistic). Is there anyone here that has experience with founder on goats and can tell me what to look for? I will take pictures this evening so you can see how she stands and what her feet look like.

OK, I finally got some pics of her feet. Keep in mind this is what they look like AFTER we have been trimming on them to try and level them out...

IM001900.jpg

IM001901.jpg

IM001902.jpg

IM001903.jpg

Last edited:
Yes goats can founder, and in goats we call it laminitis. Treatment (according to Goat Medicine, pg 103) can often inculde Bute, and other types of steriod based drugs. "Affected goats should be fed only grass hay while they recover, and brought back to richer feeds cautiously...When necessary, administration of analgesics may help control pain and promote mobility." The use of aspirin 2 x a day can also be of benefit. Frequent hoof trimming to keep the foot as correct as possible is a must when treating laminitis.

I would be very interested in hearing what others have to say about this, and in seeing the pictures of your goat. I have a couple of does here that I'm afraid may have foundered as well.

This is more of a question than help but...When my gelding foundered, due to his bute regimen for the pain, he got an ulcer and had to be put on a horse "prilosec" (not sure of spelling). Could the same thing happen to goats?

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Yes, stomach ulcers can be an issue in goats as well. When I have to give Bute, I also give 4ml of Mylanta/Maalox per my vet.

I think you've done an amazing job of correcting the feet. With feet that badly over grown, whether from founder or just neglect, it takes a very long time to get them back to normal, but it looks like you're well on the way.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Since we got her 2 1/2 weeks ago we have trimmed on her feet 3 times......if that gives you any idea what they were like when she got here.
ep.gif

Could you get a picture of the bottom of her feet?

I have suggestions but to tell you exactly I need to see the hooves in the position they will be worked on.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom