Goat Kid Introductions

ReseisCL16

Songster
9 Years
May 17, 2014
I know this is a poultry forum, but I also own goats and was wondering if someone could answer my questions regarding integrating a new goat into an existing herd. So I'm about to get a 3 month old pygmy kid doe. I own two Nigerian dwarfs right now: one is young and kinda ornry and the other is older and had arthritis. I've been reading online about how to integrate new goats and they say to quarantine the newbie or pair it off with a friend from the existing herd. Unfortunately, I don't have the space to quarantine and it would be hard to pair the kid off with one of my other does since I only have 2 of them.
Would it be ok to just put the kid out with the other does and monitor her and break up any harmful fighting? Would the kid integrate ok?

I know this is a poultry forum, but I also own goats and was wondering if someone could answer my questions regarding integrating a new goat into an existing herd. So I'm about to get a 3 month old pygmy kid doe. I own two Nigerian dwarfs right now: one is young and kinda ornry and the other is older and had arthritis. I've been reading online about how to integrate new goats and they say to quarantine the newbie or pair it off with a friend from the existing herd. Unfortunately, I don't have the space to quarantine and it would be hard to pair the kid off with one of my other does since I only have 2 of them.
Would it be ok to just put the kid out with the other does and monitor her and break up any harmful fighting? Would the kid integrate ok?
Quarantine is a must. From a distance. 2 weeks min. Then introduce at a fence line if at all possible.
Goats have a pecking order as well. Slow introductions are best with our herd.

Back
Top Bottom