Goat kid with eye discharge

thinkyesi

Songster
Oct 24, 2016
I have two goat kids with some eye discharge. It doesnt look like pink eye. The eyes are not cloudy either. Their eyes are just crusty and have greenish yellowish crust and goo. What can I give to help?

I have two goat kids with some eye discharge. It doesnt look like pink eye. The eyes are not cloudy either. Their eyes are just crusty and have greenish yellowish crust and goo. What can I give to help?
Start by wiping around the eye off with a warm damp cloth.

I did that, but it come back. I'm trying to decide if to use terramycin or oxytetracycline injection. They are only 2 months old.

So their eyes cleared up, but turns out one of them has coccidiosis pretty bad. She walks on her front knees, vet said it's due to thiamine being affected by such a heavy load of coccidia. He gave me thiamine injections to give the kid. He said I need to do it IM. Which I've only done once and went right into the vein🤦🏻‍♀️
Can I give thiamine subq and it still work fine. Or is there a 'easier' spot to inject IM?

So their eyes cleared up, but turns out one of them has coccidiosis pretty bad. She walks on her front knees, vet said it's due to thiamine being affected by such a heavy load of coccidia. He gave me thiamine injections to give the kid. He said I need to do it IM. Which I've only done once and went right into the vein🤦🏻‍♀️
Can I give thiamine subq and it still work fine. Or is there a 'easier' spot to inject IM?
I have been advised to give ALL injections (except those that must be given IV) to goats subq rather than in the muscle no matter what the label says. I was told this by the vets at the University of California veterinary school at Davis, by my own vet clinic and at a seminar I attended by the practitioners of small rumenants (sp). The reason for this is because subq injections are less painful and you are less likely to puncture a nerve or get the medicine in the vein. If you accidentally inject procaine penicillin in the vein you will only do it once, at least on that goat. Injections given in the muscle are absorbed faster than when they are given subq but I don't think the difference is significant. I gave shots in the loose skin in front of the shoulder because that was easiest for me. It might not hurt if that kid got some BoSe too. Selenium deficiency will cause muscle weakness.

Back
Top Bottom