Goat kid worming help please

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CarolinaGirl, Apr 19, 2008.

1. CarolinaGirl

CarolinaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    My 12 week old Nubian cross still has diarrhea today... My vet told me to wait it out yesterday because he probably ate something. Well, I monitered what he ate closely from 2 pm yesterday on until I put him in his clean stall that had nothing edible in it. It's 3 pm today and he still has diarrhea...

And of course, the vet is closed. I worm my big guys regularly but it's been forever since I've had a kid so I'm concerned about dosage. I have Ivomec on hand and that's it. Possibly Strongid but I haven't looked for it. How much would I give him?

Also concerned this could be coccidia... Should I give Albon to be safe or just try worming and leave him be? I would just wait until Monday but quite honestly, he's young and my spoiled baby, I'm afraid to.

Thanks in advance!

Editted to add, he's not acting odd, really. He still grazes and nibbles on a handful of goat chow when offered.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    In order to know the correct dosage for Ivermec, you'd need to know his weight and we'd need to know which form of ivermec you're using.

ANY time a young goat here gets the trots, we check for cocci. If you don't have a way to check, go ahead with the antibiotics to be safe. #1 culprit IMO.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I agree with Helmstead and would use the Albon for cocci and treat the full term of treatment ...dont stop just because he is better it will just make it more resistant. Also figure his weight and dose accordingly. I use a pour on wormer and use it orally...its basically 1cc per 10# of goat. so 40# goat gets 4cc's. Also give his a dab of baking soda as his tummy is probably upset too and make sure he is drinking water even if you ahve to give him electrolytes by bottle if he will take it.They can go down hill fast with the trots...Good luck

4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Will a horse weight tape work on a goat? Where do you get the Alban?

5. CarolinaGirl

CarolinaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks so much for your help. Pretty sure it's cocci. I gave him Albon earlier and although it seems quick, his stools already seem firmer. His appetite hasn't changed a bit but I'm still keeping a close eye on that and his water consumption.

While we're fretting over him, he discovered how to open the gate to his fence today [​IMG] A padlock hanging in the latch fixed that. But man, who knew a little 12 week old goat could cause so much worry. Not even had him a week and I can't imagine life without the little bugger.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    At that age, I'd be far more concerned about Cocci than parasites. I've lost more goats to coccidiossis than anything. Since we don't eat goats here, I now treat everyone with Albon. I generally disagree with prophylactic antibiotics, but we have incredible problems with cocci in my climate. It thrives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by