Goat on knees

reallemons1

Songster
12 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Gloucester, VA
I got a call from a friend of my son's today who has a goat that has been walking on her knees for 3 days now. She says she is eating good but not moving around much. She has had this goat for about 1 year doesn't know much about goats yet. The goat is 2 years old and pasture fed and has been fine until this. She lives out of state so I haven't seen it. I suggested it sounds like founder and asked had she had anything different to eat. The goat was given a couple branches with green leaves but she didn't know what it was. Any ideas or help, anyone?

my first thought if the goat has been "fine" would be something along the lines of founder/foot rot/scald... has she checked the hoof areas thoroughly and or kept them trimmed regularly.. the other thing that would come to mind is CAE.. I would start with the feet and then go from there.. any other symptoms or information would be more helpful.. how much grain does the goat eat? what condition are the barn floors/pasture area in ( is it wet, muddy, etc) has this goat been showing signs of wasting, coughing, raspy breathing? etc.. any other information

when we got our dixie , she was walking on her knees due to a hoof trim gone bad, cut too short and uneven. we kept it trimmed, and put pine tar on the one that was too short, and eventually it grew enough so we could trim them both even, she stopped walking on her knees, but every once and a while she will get on her knees to eat. I would definately check her hoofs.

Last edited:
She says the goat isn't getting any grain, just has a large pasture, don't know how wet or dry it is or barn conditions. She hasn't trimmed the goats feet. I sent her a couple websites on goat health care, nutrition and foot care. She really knows very little about goat care. I wish she didn't live so far away so I help her.

Well, I don't know if it is similar or not...maybe seasonal? (I'm new at all of this!) But my one Nigerian doe, Petunia, just started walking on her front knees and dragging her belly on the ground. Her nails have been neatly trimmed so I know that hasn't been an issue for her in particular. What I did wonder was, "Is she itchy with mites or lice?" So I used DE on her today and we'll see how it goes.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom