Goat opinion wanted.

Skyesrocket

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
7660_sm_white_doe.jpg
[/img]

This is a 7 month old doe. According to the ad, "she is small because the other goats pushed her around".
What do you think? Does she look like a dwarf? I would buy her if I thought she was a dwarf. Not for breeding, just because I like animals that are a little different. She would fit right in here I think.

I would be very very wary of buying any animal from someone who let said animals growth be stunted because "the other goats pushed her around". I own goats. I have 14 out in the pasture right now. Their is definitely a hierarchy, some get to eat anytime they want, some have to wait. It's just like chickens.

That said, if I thought one of the babies was getting left out of the food, I would pull a few and feed them separately.

Secondly, it should have been on it's mothers milk for at least 4 months. Then it should have been eating grain and browse/hay depending on if it is pasture or lot raised. Now that it's winter it should definitely be getting hay. If it was never on it's mother it should have been bottle fed for at least 4 months. Many people can't be bothered and shorten this time.

She definitely has some shortened legs. She also still has what I call "baby fuzz" to her. I have to wonder if she isn't a mixed breed that has some Nigi or pygmy in her. On top of that I'm wondering if 7 months isn't a misrepresentation of her age. She looks very well fed, look at the fat along the top of her back, at the loin, how you can't see her hip bones at all. She has a good tummy on her.

If she is a true Dwarf and not a mixed breed then you have a lot of possible genetic abnormalities to worry about that could cost you big vet bills. This is where you have to worry about his original statement of her being small because of being pushed around being false.

She could have kidney issues, intestinal problems, bone growth issues, definite fertility issues although don't use that as birth control because as soon as you do....

I'm sorry, she is really cute, I'm just playing devils advocate here. I want to help you go into this with eyes wide open. She could be a wonderful pet that never has a single problem. Or, she could have some serious health issues you aren't prepared for.

Laney

I'm just playing devils advocate here

Actually that was what I was asking for. I see her and she looks very cute and my gut reaction was to go get her. She doesn't look skinny to me either. They did say pushed around and not pushed off feed, but with it being goats I just assumed that's what they meant. And I did mean the dwarf gene, not the Nigerian Dwarf breed. I know the dwarves have health problems. A vet once told me it was because the organs are full size inside of a smaller frame. I just can't make up my mind if she is a dwarf or not. The head does seem to be on the big side but something is missing.
I think that if I get the time I will go check her out in person tomorrow.​

I totally agree with Laney on the vote of no confidence for the breeder.

That said, that looks like a healthy young Kiko to me. I don't suppose you have pics of the parents you could post? Kikos are more stocky looking than some other breeds and often appear to have short legs compared to their body size when they are little because of their stocky shape. They aren't usually shorter than other goat breeds of equivalent age, but may seem to appear shorter because they are higher from spine to belly than many other breeds who may appear longer and leaner.

Thanks for your input. You may be right, maybe it is a kiko. I looked up the place on mapquest and they are over 2 hours away from me. So I'm not going to go see her.

Do you mean Dwarf as in Nigerian Dwarf? If so, she's not purebred. She has the wrong ears and the wrong face and bone structure for starters. If you want to buy a dwarf, go find someone who you feel confident in and buy yourself a gorgeous goat that you deserve and feel good about. And one that won't rack you up half a ton of vet bills in the next few months.
smile.png

I saw a boer like this at a friend's farm once. Almost a regular sized head, kinda had a barrel-shaped body, and short little legs. He said she was over a year old, and that her twin brother grew out normally.

Let's face it...there are dwarf and pygmy breeds, and they had to start somewhere. I'm totally speculating here, but my guess would be that they started with a few goats like the one in the picture.

Unless I had a weirdo buck with a normal head, barrel body, and short little legs...I'd pass.

If I did happen to have a weirdo buck like that...well...perhaps, if only to see what happens.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom