Goat people -- 2 quick questions.

I don't have personal experience with Pygmies but most goats can and do continue growing (some) until 3 to 4 years old.

My understanding is that you can wether a goat with a band as long as you can get the band around the testicles.

I'm not sure about using a burdizzo as far as age goes.

If you cannot band them or use the burdizzo; I believe the goat has to be castrated by a vet (or someone with knowledge to the procedure). I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in if I'm wrong on these.

edited to add a thought

Last edited:
Thanks, Chirpy. I'll probably have a vet do the weathering/neutering either way. I'm not all that confident in my ability to do it myself, to be honest. Even with a band. That said: This guy's really sweet. Scared out of his wits because he's rarely been handled and lost his mom/herd, but we need to get him neutered, cleaned up and vetted well before we can get him in with some more. HOpefully we'll be able to make friends.

If you can borrow an elastrator, it's a cinch to use. With larger bucks, I pull the scrotum through the band and then work the testicles through one at a time. You can castrate a pretty good sized buck this way. When you release the band, just make sure you do not catch a teat in the band. Give a shot of tetanus antitoxin and that's it. He'll be a little uncomfortable for a few hours but that will pass.

I agree with Chirpy and Cassie...you can band up to when you cant get the testicles thru the band and then you still can if you can find a calf bander like I have for cattle. Bigger bands and will work also. I dont do the Burdizzo as sometimes it dont work and casteration during the summer months isnt a good idea either as the flies are horrible and its more painful I think and lots messier. Banding is easier and just make sure there arent any wrinkles and you have both testies before you let go and no teats in the band.

I'll third that. Banding is so easy, I can do it
tongue.png
I would recommend using 2 bands on an older goat though, just in case one breaks.

Back
Top Bottom