Goat question

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
I have the opportunity to trade another small farmer, she is taking 15 of my laying hens, I get her Nubian dwarf goat. The girl is due the end of February.. Would it be wise to move her to a new home or wait until after the kid(s) is born.. The lady lives an hour away and she will be bringing her here in 10 days. I don't have any other goats...yet.. and she said she will bring her Buck who is a gentle boy to keep the doe company until she kids. I have heard two sides of the issue, some say no way, some say should be fine.. Interested in what you all think?? I don't want to endanger the doe nor her kid(s) but also don't want to pass up a great opportunity to barter for something I have wanted for along time :) I have a list of what the current owner feeds her and I will be sticking to her schedule and feed.

The doe is 4 years old, third freshening and never any past issues with kidding

Her name is Gwendolyne
love.gif

Hi, we have fainting goats and love them. My opinion: let her bring the buck as long as they are both healthy as your doe must have a companion. I never bought a goat, who as long as he/she was fed well, had proper shelter, and a fresh water supply have any difficulties adjusting to a new environment. I also purchased pregnant does and never had issues. Our buck has been with the does for birthing and everything went well. I would get the doe now, loan the buck until kid is born and enjoy the birth of your new baby goat. I stress proper shelter, a secure pen, and depending on your temperature, adequate heat for when the baby comes. We are in WI so winter births meant we added some heat. Good luck

Hi, we have fainting goats and love them. My opinion: let her bring the buck as long as they are both healthy as your doe must have a companion. I never bought a goat, who as long as he/she was fed well, had proper shelter, and a fresh water supply have any difficulties adjusting to a new environment. I also purchased pregnant does and never had issues. Our buck has been with the does for birthing and everything went well. I would get the doe now, loan the buck until kid is born and enjoy the birth of your new baby goat. I stress proper shelter, a secure pen, and depending on your temperature, adequate heat for when the baby comes. We are in WI so winter births meant we added some heat. Good luck

Thank you! We have her shelter all ready (15x30) just need to attach a door for her so can lock her up at night. We plan on having a panel ready for the pen when she goes into labor so we can give her her own space if the need arises.. I so very excited
celebrate.gif

Oh and out here in Oregon our coldest night so far was about 22 a few weeks ago. I do have a heat lamp should the need arise..

Moving her won't hurt her. Do you have a way to separate the buck when she kids? A lot of times a doe that has just given birth smells to the buck like she is in heat and he will chase her and try to breed her. The doe does not need this kind of attention at this time.

Moving her won't hurt her. Do you have a way to separate the buck when she kids? A lot of times a doe that has just given birth smells to the buck like she is in heat and he will chase her and try to breed her. The doe does not need this kind of attention at this time.
Thank you, yes, we will separate him from her when she is ready to birth....
smile.png

Thank you, yes, we will separate him from her when she is ready to birth....
smile.png

He definitely will need to be separated before she gives birth. He can endanger her and the kids, and impregnate her when she rapidly comes back into heat after her pregnancy is over. She must not be immediately bred again while nursing newborn kids, it is very detrimental for her health. Back to back kiddings will wear down a doe very quickly.

She needs some TLC. Her coat is rough, I would suspect she isn't getting her mineral needs met. And her hooves look like they needed a good trim weeks ago.

Hopefully she will be a good girl for you. If she has any buckling kids, I'd recommend wethering them.

He definitely will need to be separated before she gives birth. He can endanger her and the kids, and impregnate her when she rapidly comes back into heat after her pregnancy is over. She must not be immediately bred again while nursing newborn kids, it is very detrimental for her health. Back to back kiddings will wear down a doe very quickly.

She needs some TLC. Her coat is rough, I would suspect she isn't getting her mineral needs met. And her hooves look like they needed a good trim weeks ago.

Hopefully she will be a good girl for you. If she has any buckling kids, I'd recommend wethering them.

I went yesterday and got a brush and clippers (yay for second hand stores!) . The lady told me she would trim her hooves before she brings her, but I have been watching video's and will check her over really good. Went in and priced feed and minerals for her, will pick those up Tuesday.. She should be bringing her over by Thursday (next week) I am going to talk to her again and see if there is possibly another goat (wether or doeling) she can bring instead, if not I might be looking for a wether I can purchase?? Your thoughts on a goat not of her herd meeting her here??

When I first saw her pictures (she is a couple hours away) I thought she looked alittle rough compared to what I have seen goats look like. Told hubs right away she would need a trimming and cleaning up, good feed/hay and minerals.. I take pride in my animals and although I don't know this womens situation from the way she talked it sounds like she has more than she is handling efficiently. .

Back
Top Bottom