Goat raisers / lovers...Should I castrate this buckling or not? pic

17roses

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
Greene County, TN
First off, I am not starting this thread to debate whether castration is right or wrong or to discuss the methods in which to do it. I do castrate some of mine so I can keep them longer in the herd to process for goat meat.

Here is my issue... this goat is different. I want to sell him as a pet or herdsire and not meat. He has really cool markings. So here are some things you may want to know to help me decide...

1. He is a mixed breed
2. He will be big
3. His mother is an awesome milk goat and father is an amazing meat goat
4. He is skitish right now because he is not bottlefed
5. There is a large market here for pets and meat but not herdsires

So my question is what do you recommend? I would love to see him breed, I bet his babies would be amazingly beautiful but he is not a purebred and I am afraid he will end up as meat. I can't keep him in my herd because he is related to 3 out of my 6 girls and I have no room for a wether.

101_0741.jpg

Our buck isn't a purebreed but that's ok for us. We'll use him to breed to get milk flowing, then sell the kids as pets or whatever. Your boy is beautiful ... I wouldn't castrate if you can avoid it. You can use him to breed pet quality, or sell him because of his beautiful markings. Set the price high enough to discourage meat buyers.

Quote:
Thanks for the imput! I cant keep him because he is related to 1/2 my does but I sure would love to see him go as a herdsire.
smile.png

I would wether him and try to tame him down for a pet, or meat. He isn't build like a meat goat (he looks very dairy) so, meat breeders aren't going to want him as a sire, dairy folks aren't going to want him because he isn't full dairy, and pet people usually want smaller breeds. Some do use large breed wethers to pull carts, but I wouldn't count on anyone wanting him as a herdsire. JMO

Castrate him!! If you don't want him to go for meat, look into pack goats. BTW, when I had my dairy, only a very few buck kids, those out of the best does in my herd, were ever sold for breeding. The rest went for meat. I got so I flatly refused to sell any kids for pets because of the miserable life most pet goats lead in this area. Meat was by far the most humane option. There was only once I ever sold an unregistered buck for breeding and he was out of a truly exceptional grade doe and he was sired by an outstanding buck.

Quote:
I think he is too! Thanks Cindiloohoo!

Quote:
Your opinion is welcome! I dont want him to go as meat, he is too pretty. I know that is a sentimental view but I cant help it. You do have a point about the pet trade wanting small and even tiny goats. Definately something to think about.

Quote:
Thank you for your imput. We do have a huge goat market here and I actually know people who have pet goats that are treated very well but I have seen pet goats treated terribly so I understand your position. All of my bucklings so far have been used for meat except a goat that turned out too small and he was purchased as a brush goat. I personally have mixed goats and even my buck is a mix. I am not looking to show. I have a small herd for my families use of meat and milk. I dont sell very often, I have simply fallen in love with his coloring and his doe and buck are very well built for what they are made for though they have no pedigree. I will have to really think about his future. I am still undecided.

I would wether him. There are more than enough boys out there that are pure and will be in higher demand.

Can you post pics of his parents? I'm curious what they look like! how big is big? What is his mix?

Quote:
No problem. Here they are...

101_0718.jpg

Here is the mother goat - I was told she is a pure Alpine goat but I dont care, she is a really good milk goat.

101_0729.jpg

Here is the Father- he is a Fainting X - he has a touch of dairy and angora blood in him. He is short but stout.

101_0700-1.jpg

Her sister is our family milking goat - bet you can guess why

He is adorable! You could wait and decide once you actually have a buyer for him. Castrate if they want a wether... leave him intact if they want a buck.

I'm currently having my first kids. I've had goats for a handful of years, but this is my first time with kidding. Three on the ground so far with no problems... and they are ADORABLE. I have pet homes for all three already. That makes me very happy.
wink.png
I just have one nanny to go.

Good luck to your little goatie, whatever you decide!

Teresa
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom