GOAT TALK!!!!

I have 8 goats at the moment. Rose, Mocha, Rowan, Summer, Alex, Fumby, Sally, and Gracie. They are mixed with all different sorts of breeds. Will try to upload pics if I can get them on camera! lol
What are the first signs of pregnancy?
Obviously, if they don't come back into heat it is a good sign that they are pregnant. At about three months along, if you watch the area where the rear udder joins the body you will start to see changes there. The vulva may start to look a little puffy too.

Obviously, if they don't come back into heat it is a good sign that they are pregnant. At about three months along, if you watch the area where the rear udder joins the body you will start to see changes there. The vulva may start to look a little puffy too.
Thank you!

You have a buck or they were with one? If your does are over 6 months old and have been around a buck they are probably bred. First sign of pregnancy is when they don't come back in heat. If your buck is in with the herd, they will all settle down, and the buck smell will decrease. Most herds should be about through breeding and settling down now.
We put them with the buck on November 16 and got them back last week.

If you get through the month with no signs of heat, they are probably bred. Be set up and ready for babies by the beginning of April. Some carry differently but all should show signs of pregnancy. Have they had babies before?

I see... do pygmy goats just eat grass? How much space do you give them?

My pygmy goats stay fat with our field most of the year, we have a pasture that's about 2 acres for them. It is extremely overgrown around the edges with brush and that's where they prefer to be. They really don't graze that often....trust me I knew that but my husband didn't.....I told him when we got them that I was adding good lawn mowers to the farm. He wasn't amused when he found out they are not good lawn mowers at all LOL!

Its actually not ideal for goats to live 100% on grazing as its not rough enough for them basically. You want them to be able to browse a healthy amount. If you don't have that option I'd probably be inclined to hay all year.

Currently in Ohio I just started haying our goats. We just started getting some good snow and even if it melts I'm sure most of the stuff will be dead. From now until about Feb we probably will be stuck throwing hay. Then my pregnant and nursing does get a bit of grain.

I have 8 goats at the moment. Rose, Mocha, Rowan, Summer, Alex, Fumby, Sally, and Gracie. They are mixed with all different sorts of breeds. Will try to upload pics if I can get them on camera! lol
What are the first signs of pregnancy?

Heats are the first thing to look for. If they don't go back into heat then its a pretty sure sign they're pregnant. Otherwise the next thing I see is them getting suspiciously fat. Most other signs really don't show up until about the week before they're due.

Back
Top Bottom