Goat Toys! How To Make Toys That Are Perfect For Your Goats!

We are getting two alpine dairy goats for my daughter for 4H. We are both very excited! Lol! I live all th toy ideas. One will be 6 months and on is 7 months. I have the area sectioned off for them. Temporarily 25'x50'. My husband 800 miles away at work so doing this by myself. My problem is a temp shelter till he can get home an build one!!! Any easy suggestions big enough for the two to get in. THANKS!!!

We are getting two alpine dairy goats for my daughter for 4H. We are both very excited! Lol! I live all th toy ideas. One will be 6 months and on is 7 months. I have the area sectioned off for them. Temporarily 25'x50'. My husband 800 miles away at work so doing this by myself. My problem is a temp shelter till he can get home an build one!!! Any easy suggestions big enough for the two to get in. THANKS!!!

We took 4 pallets and zip tied them together. Nailed a good tarp on for the roof. And for the sides we used tarp but they like to eat it, so you'll probably want to use a board or something. And then a board for the floor. It can fit two goats but that depends on if the head goat will let the other.

Congrats on your new goats!

Oh my gosh are these little ones precious!!!
love.gif

I'm going to try the milk crate idea. Any other ideas for large goats? We have a Nubian and a Lamancha, both very food driven.

HELLO :)

I'm new to owning goats but I'm already in love with my 3 yr old doe n buckling. Getting to know their different personalities has been a real treat for me but I think they would benefit from having their own toys to play with.

My girl is a little on the heavy side. She loves food & gets into some compromising situations trying to find things to scratch her back on. Climbing under the milk stand .. knocking over my lawn furniture .. I find the struggles funny but I'd like to help her loose weight n itch that scratch she can't seem to really satisfy.

My little man is a hoot. He loves jumping up on my picnic table and does a little dance as he begs for me to put out my hand for a round of head butts. He definitely has more of a spunky side :)

Getting my heavy girl a little more active & exhausting some of the play energy my little guy has would be greatly appreciated
jumpy.gif

Do you have any ideas for a Pygmy billy?
He is probably around 10 or 11 at the youngest, 13 max (We haven't had him since birth) and he only butts the fence if he thinks we have food that we aren't giving him.
He is pretty laid back
His daily routine pretty much consists of walking in circles around the pond in the center, and eating what he thinks looks good.
He has a bale if hay outside if his "house" and a mini bale on the inside.

Thanks in advance

An old giant rotary brush that free spins on a horizontal post is great for scratching.

The giant cable spools make great goat toys, you can make ramps and bridges between the spools, you can lay them on their side and the goat will climb over and under them(also generally can find them for free or extremely cheap).

Old re-enforced picnic tables are great.

Old tires on the ground and buried part way into the ground to make tunnels are good.

An old 5 gallon water bottle makes a great toy, put some grain in the bottle and set it out in the pasture, they will roll it around and head butt it and climb on it....excellant interactive toy.

You can make a simple teeter totter with a short board over a fixed log, they will play until it fall off and them play on the log and walk along the fallen plank.

You can built a small A frame with a flat top and cover it with section of skateboard grip on both ramp sides or composite roof shingle material stappled down....tada goat nail files lol.

A pile of dirt and rocks makes a good goat "mountain" for climbing.

You can put any kind of logs into a secure pile and they will climb all over them, if you have a tree fall down in a storm or get hit by lightening, drag it into their pen.

Dont forget about wood pallets....you can stack and secure these together to make super easy steps, or platform of different heights....just make the top of each platform/step solid with some scrap wood or wood from other pallets.

Almost everything i've mentioned you can find for free or extremely cheap. Basically someones else trash can be your goats playground. Any or a number of these toys should ekep your goats happy and wanting to stay in their pen/pasture. If you have alot of goats and your going to do the grain in the water bottle trick....you likely want to put out more then one.

Last edited:
I am getting a 3-4 month of old sheep. I know they are different from goats a bit but I want to know how to entertain my sheep & what I can use to encourage play.

I am getting a 3-4 month of old sheep. I know they are different from goats a bit but I want to know how to entertain my sheep & what I can use to encourage play.
Anything from the post above yours will work for sheep too....though sheep are generally not quite as bright so the grain in the water bottle might not work as well for them.

Back
Top Bottom