Goat Transport Question

sweetshoplady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Venice, Florida
I am picking up the 5 yr old doe saanen/nubian cross Tuesday 3/25.

I have a dog crate, 33"H x 48"L x 30"W. Four Paws X-Large Wire Crate (I imagine some of you may be familiar with that crate.)

Do I need to try to open the lid and put taller boards on the corners to give the goat more height? Or will she be fine in a crate that size for a 3 hour trip?

I plan on putting a tarp over it to keep the wind off of her.

I am making a second trip for the doeling kids as they both should fit in there, no problem.

I don't have a horse trailer or a stock trailer. I thought of renting a van and just cleaning it out afterward.

So glad its daylight savings time so that I can do some stuff after work before it gets dark.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I transport my goats in a crate like that, I have pygmies. I put some straw in the bottom and off we go.
smile.png

I have a alpine doe and she wont fit in that size crate...it just would be to uncomfortable...smaller goats it is fine like pygmies and nigerians, you would be better to get a van or a different type of transportation instead. that way you can just make 1 trip . Lots easier on all around....hopefully it isnt to hard to get a different type of vehicle. I would just get a tarp and some straw or cardboard and try to bring them all together with this put down. also the babies you can put diapers on and the doe too like depends and its a lot less messier and haul them in a car. Just a thought...

When I was a kid I remember we hauled a goat in the back of our station wagon. Of course it was a short trip. People in passing cars laughed when they saw a goat in our car, it was fun. I don't remember the mess as I was not the one to deal with it, hee hee
I would take Chatychick's advice
smile.png

Sounds too small to me. I think your doe will be that tall at the wither...if not taller...and won't be comfortable. Standing, our larger Nigerian Dwarves just are able to stand and raise their heads in a crate that size.

So if I rented a van, I could do them possibly in one trip. Just put a tarp down.

I have old hay that I can put down.

I say possibly as I haven't confirmed a pick-up time with the other person.

I know a couple who transported their mini horse in the back of a van.

We transport goats by tieing them to the truck bed. lay down hey and they should be fine. we do enough transporting we bought a camper top for the truck. Crystal

We transported ours in the back of our truck. It has a topper on it. We had about an hours ride they did fine. Getting them out was alittle hair raising. but the last time we transported 5 at once. they were pigmies but did very well.

Back
Top Bottom