Goat with 3 teats

22lilchickens

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Virginia
I have 4 goats, two boys and two girls. 3 of them are related the eldest boy and both girls, the boy is the brother to the eldest girl and is half brother to the youngest female. The eldest boy is a wether. Him and his sister are full Nigerians an there half sister is a mini Nubian. Then I have a kinder(Nubian pgymy cross) boy that is intact that is 4 months old now. The other ones will be a year old in July. Since the girls are big enough now I want to breed them so there all in the same pen. The little pgymy boy is really small and probably won't get no bigger the girls are taller then him by maybe 5 inches atleast. But one day I and to realize when my full Nigeran doeling was standing in her hindlegs she has 3 teats. She has the normal two in the right places but then on one of them she has another one off the side of one teat. And I have read this may be a problem for nursing kids. Even though my litte buck hasn't tried to bred them once
1f613.png
even when I sit out there for hours watching to see if he has. But he might just not be old enough to say be interested right now.Does any one have any advice or experience with a doe with 3 teats? If she does have kids should i take them away, or lets say she has two or more should I just be prepared to take one away if the one side with two teats don't work?

I have 4 goats, two boys and two girls. 3 of them are related the eldest boy and both girls, the boy is the brother to the eldest girl and is half brother to the youngest female. The eldest boy is a wether. Him and his sister are full Nigerians an there half sister is a mini Nubian. Then I have a kinder(Nubian pgymy cross) boy that is intact that is 4 months old now. The other ones will be a year old in July. Since the girls are big enough now I want to breed them so there all in the same pen. The little pgymy boy is really small and probably won't get no bigger the girls are taller then him by maybe 5 inches atleast. But one day I and to realize when my full Nigeran doeling was standing in her hindlegs she has 3 teats. She has the normal two in the right places but then on one of them she has another one off the side of one teat. And I have read this may be a problem for nursing kids. Even though my litte buck hasn't tried to bred them once
1f613.png
even when I sit out there for hours watching to see if he has. But he might just not be old enough to say be interested right now.Does any one have any advice or experience with a doe with 3 teats? If she does have kids should i take them away, or lets say she has two or more should I just be prepared to take one away if the one side with two teats don't work?

My friend had issues with teat defects. She sent them all to butcher. It isn't a trait you want passed on, and they will pass it on. She actually tried breeding it out, nope, the kiddos were born with teat defects. So all adults were butchered, as were the kids.

You should keep her as a pet only and not breed her. Or if you do breed her, clearly disclose to any buyers her defects. If she is registered with any registry, do not give out papers for any of the kids. They should be pet kids only. Any bucks will need to be wethered.

He is old enough to get the job done...however, he will not do it well. He is still quite young. They might produce viable sperm and get lucky at this point, but they don't have size and technique down for meaningful reproduction.

I am gonna breed her this first time I see how things go and if she can properly take care of the kids but all boys will me wether and girls will be pet or meat only, I have a lot of Hispanic people around where I live and i don't know why but they prefer small goats like Nigerians to eat. But if she is unable to take care of the kids I will probably end up getting her fixed and just keep her as a pet.

I am gonna breed her this first time I see how things go and if she can properly take care of the kids but all boys will me wether and girls will be pet or meat only, I have a lot of Hispanic people around where I live and i don't know why but they prefer small goats like Nigerians to eat. But if she is unable to take care of the kids I will probably end up getting her fixed and just keep her as a pet.

That is good that kids are going to be for pet or meat only, not registered in any way. Problems with teats are serious faults on dairy goats.

Yes I was really bummed when I saw she had a third teat she is such a pretty girl. I'm pretty sure she got is from her dads side because I use to have her mom and even though she was not a milk goat she had a really nice udder, and none of her other babies she has had has had an extra teat. I have heard people say that sometimes the teat with the extra may not work so I'm worried if she has twins which is probably likely that she won't be able to have both nurse

I never had extra teats on my goats, but a lot of cows get extra teats. They normally don't grow as large. Some farmers cut them off. Talk to your vet to see if this is a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom