Goat Wrangler raising chicks & ducks in rural Mexico

GoatWrangler

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
I live in a ranch in rural Mexico with my husband Dan, our adult daughter also has built a home here and manages our guest house.
We raise chickens & ducks for eggs only.
I’m currently attempting to increase the flock using an incubator, but running into integration issues.
Looking forward to learning more.
You can find me at www.ranchosolymar.com

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

welcome.gif
Welcome to backyard chickens!

The look but don't touch method is great! But remember, you cannot put 6 week old chicks in with adult hens. Actually, the limit with integration with chicks is about 2 weeks.

They can look but don't touch method would need to be used until the chicks are 3\4 the sizes of the older ones--Usually at about 16 weeks old.

It is not pretty when you put little ones in with big ones. The big ones think the little ones are food

Hello, so nice to meet you! I used the "look don't touch" method integrating younger chickens in with my older flock last summer and it worked perfectly. By the time I let the younger girls out of their separated pen (it was set up in the middle of the run, I would take them from the brooder each morning and return them at night) the older hens were used to them and the two "flocks" integrated with no problems. Good luck!

Your ranch looks beautiful, by the way. Love the goats!

G’Day from down under GoatWrangler :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These two might be of particular interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Integrating Chicks into an Adult Flock
Topic of the Week - Adding New Chickens to the Flock

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom