Goats and Zoning in Prince William County, Virginia - has anyone ever filed for a zoning variance?

BunnyGirlxoxo

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2015
I'm looking into getting dwarf goats as pets here in Prince William County, Virginia. I have little over one acre in A-1 zoning. I have a small house so most of my land is clear with a quarter of it with untouched forest. According to zoning codes here, I can have up to 10 fowls (I don't agree with this) but no livestock. I need 10+ acres for all other farm animals. However, I can have up to 4 dogs, no limit on cats, and any other fur babies my little heart desires. I feel this is an unfair ruling and truly believe goats make great pets. Lets not forget about the other benefits of goats as I'm sure you all already know. Some of my best childhood memories growing up were with my goat. She was the family dog! I'm already arguing with zoning about the chicken limit. A lovely neighbor complained about me having them. I'm just 2 over the allowed amount. I was forced to purchase my peeps in intervals of six according to Virginia state law so I was told by a lady at Southern States. That's a whole other issue. I'm willing to put up a fight for the two dwarf goats I'm looking to adopt if it's possible. I'm not scared to get political if I have to. I've placed a call into the zoning office here. I have yet to receive a call back. I'm expecting the run around from them anyhow. Any opinions and advice from my fellow backyard chicken peeps would be greatly appreciated! :)

I know this is an old post. I too am in PWC(Haymarket) zoned A1. My neighbor complained about my chickens , surprisingly after I quit giving" them eggs. I use the sale of eggs to supplement my income. I am 2 over the limit but cannot find any zoning for goats and have called zoning and haven't received a call back in over a week. My email is [email protected]

Hello, a lot of time has passed since the comme t was made. But wanted to add, goata are considered livestock by definition. Based on that if you live on A1 zoned property and have 2+ acres you can have 1 goat, ordinance 32.300 general use. I also live in Haymarket. This is all based on my interpretation of what a goat is classified as.

Back
Top Bottom