Goats as weed control.....

awesomefowl

Argues with Goats
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
raxacoricofallapatorious
Hello BYCers with or with out goats.
I have an overgrown spot where there is a lot of milkweed (I know that is poisonius), brush, misc. weeds, etc....we also have a huge lawn.
I am planning on getting some hair sheep ewes in July (hopefully
fl.gif
) , but would like to get a few goaties first to eat some of the weeds and clear it out. Have any of you done this? What are good breeds to control weeds? Any tips?
I'd also love to train a cart goat, so I was thinking a big wether (sp?) and maybe a doe. what breeds work well for this?

Thank you!

Awesomefowl

P.S. I have this posted on BYH but it is slower. I remember seeing a old thread about this as well.

I'm getting some in the spring I keep telling DH they will eat the poison ivy so he will be more accepting of the idea. So I'll be watching the responses too
smile.png

Any breed of goat will eat weeds. If you just want them as pets and for weed control, any mutt goat will do. Start with those so you can get used to handling them, caring for them, etc. then you can move your way up to fullblood goats.

Just remember that sheep eat from their heads level down, and goats from the head level up. Sheep graze, goats browse. I have both, and have used them to clear out my overgrown woods for years. We have 5 acres and do not own a lawn mower anymore. They sat around so long not getting used that i sold them off. I have organic lawn mowers with 4 hooves! I am doing my part in goin green! We have Boer goats & Babydoll sheep here. I would recommend both breeds, not as skiddish as some others, and easy to handle. Good luck!

Quote:
Yes, I think somebody posted the poisonous plant list for goats on BYH for you. Goats and sheep may have the same general appearance, but require different care. That have different nutritional needs, for example. Many type of goat feed can be toxic to sheep because it contains copper, which is an essential elements goats must have.

If you are seriously considering getting goats, I would recommend this book: Storey's Guide to Raising Goats. You can find it online on Amazon or Ebay, but your local TSC may also have a copy. Also, do a google search for livestock catalogs and request some catalogs. That way you will know how much the goats will cost you in general supplies and vaccines.

Another website that is helpful: https://fiascofarm.com/

My goats always skipped the "weeds" and went straight for the good stuff if they had access to the yard. My neighbor's sheep would clear a field from the roots up in no time flat.

Am I missing something? Milkweed is toxic to both goats and sheep (well actually pretty much all livestock).

worming the goats separately from the sheep I want to get.

Worm medications are identical for sheep and goats, but the dosages can vary.

Also, goats require a much higher level of copper in their diets

Copper is poisonous to sheep, so they can't be given the same minerals UNLESS you give them all "sheep" minerals, and give the goats additional copper suplements​

Back
Top Bottom